Topic: small waves, litewind (East Coast)

Any experience with Starboard Drive 10.5 x 30 vs Nalu 10'6 x 30?

for use in non-planing conditions, playing in small waves, mush,.. summer on the East Coast by a 90 kg windsurfer.

other suggestions or thoughts welcome

thanks in advance,

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: small waves, litewind (East Coast)

the drive will work, the rocker catches any microswell. at 95kg i've had more fun on a bigger12'6x30 board.the board will not plane under any amount of sail power so the trick is to rig just enough sail to move the board around and enjoy the maneuverability.no experience with the naish.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

3 (edited by gary 2020-01-01 03:18:33)

allright!  i made quite an effort to hook up with an SB Drive 10'5x30 (now out of production) but it's not like there was actually an option to to just pick up either one of both - so i feel lucky and happy to report that after some web and soul searching - i have managed to get my hands on an older naish nalu 10'6 wood smile

i think construction and finish is high quality and from what i can tell, it has a pretty solid rep in surf-ability in an all-round sorta way that should match well with my modest intentions and skillset wink

for future researchers - here are cpl vids of the Nalu 10'6 but you'll prolly have to do some cutnpaste to make them work.  fwiw - similar vids for SB Drive are 'out there' -

small wave windsup'g lite wind - vimeo.com/74199229
planing cond's windsup - vimeo.com/66265412
small wave surf'g - vimeo.com/102502497
small wave surf'g (alana graphics - youtube.com/watch?v=39p16QOfFFs
head high wave surf'g - youtube.com/watch?v=jOoQE6IG_uc[

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Looks like a versatile board! Enjoy!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down