Topic: Swapping hot rod mast pieces

Hoi Jeffrey,
i would like to experiment with my 460 and 490 hotrods in combination with a superfreak 7,0 and 8.0
If i use a 490 bottom and the 460 tip does this mean that the tip is getting stiffer?. I did not read anywhere on the forum that a 460 bottom is used with a 490 tip, is this not recommended?.
The Bending percentages for the bottom and tip are 65 and 79 for the 460 and 65 and 78 for the 490 if i’m correct.
Is there a way to indicatie these Numbers when i combine a 490 bottom and 460 tip?
My weight is 85 kg and i try to figure out what setup works for me pending on the wind.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

2 (edited by calebchinookRD 2019-11-01 06:49:51)

Re: Swapping hot rod mast pieces

Reneverschoor895 wrote:

Hoi Jeffrey,
i would like to experiment with my 460 and 490 hotrods in combination with a superfreak 7,0 and 8.0
If i use a 490 bottom and the 460 tip does this mean that the tip is getting stiffer?. I did not read anywhere on the forum that a 460 bottom is used with a 490 tip, is this not recommended?.
The Bending percentages for the bottom and tip are 65 and 79 for the 460 and 65 and 78 for the 490 if i’m correct.
Is there a way to indicatie these Numbers when i combine a 490 bottom and 460 tip?
My weight is 85 kg and i try to figure out what setup works for me pending on the wind.

Hi, Not Jeffrey but know a bit about mast bends. Combining the 490 bot with the 460 top will make the mast more flex top as - overall the 460 is a softer mast. It would be very difficult to accurately predict the resulting bend curve number wise. The 490 top 460 base is usually not recommended since Hotsails are designed for flextop & this would make the top stiffer. As to effect on sail performance I will leave that to Jeffrey but I would guess on the 7.0 with the 460 top the leach will open less evenly & draft will be deeper at the boom for the same amount of tension. On the 8.0 will just open up the leach sooner & have a softer feel - maybe too soft? .... For the 490 top, maybe you could extrapolate my experience rigging a harder top No-Limitz Sumo mast on a Firelight sail: The leach would not open progressively from the head & if I downhauled enough to get some loose leach then the draft was very flat at the boom. On the water the sail was horrible - very top heavy feeling & lacked range, no amount of tuning would really get the balance right... May not be as bad as that but Jeffrey will know more...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have used a Hot Rod 490 base and Hot Rod 460 top with my 8.0 Super Freak for many years and am very happy with that combo. I'm about 78 kg.

Also, it's fair to point out that I further have done the "tube batten conversion" to this sail, which makes it considerably more stable (search the forum for discussions about this procedure). I would highly recommend doing that as well as using the "475" Hot Rod.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Thanks, i have done the tube batten conversion on my 8.0 and 9.0 freaks, indeed a super upgrade. Still thinking of trying the conversion with the 7.0. But first try to figure out the best mast combo.

Geoff wrote:

I have used a Hot Rod 490 base and Hot Rod 460 top with my 8.0 Super Freak for many years and am very happy with that combo. I'm about 78 kg.

Also, it's fair to point out that I further have done the "tube batten conversion" to this sail, which makes it considerably more stable (search the forum for discussions about this procedure). I would highly recommend doing that as well as using the "475" Hot Rod.

Thumbs up Thumbs down