Topic: 8.0 Superfreak

Hi Jeff,

I vote that you label the 8.0 SF as a wave sail rather than a transition sail. Not that it is not a great transition sail, but a transition sail is typically not a perfect wave sail.

Yesterday I sailed my 8.0 SF on head high perfect glassy waves and today on chest high not quite so perfect waves on my 490 Hot Rod on my Aero 117 with my 30 cm Vector wave fin. The set up was perfectly balanced and it felt great to sail DTL in 15 mph winds The only downside is that each day after one and a half hours my 53 year old out of condition muscles made me quit.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: 8.0 Superfreak

I wonder if the 8.0 would work on a SOS rocket 99...?

I tested the 8.0 on a older 100% race mast from ART and it really felt nice: light and very powerful... Enough space for batten rotation, easy rigging... But it was not my mast and now i wonder if the 490 HOTROD will not be to slow and heavy, influencing the sail's performance negatively.
And what about a 460 HOTROD and 45cm extension? Will it work? Will it be safe?

We compared the 8.0 SF with a 8.5 NP V6 (putting one sail over the other), and I was under the impression that the SF was about 1m? smaller... The owner of that NP wasn't happy with his sail (fragile and heavy), and had asked me for a testride with the biggest SF i could find... He was excited about the feeling of the 8.0 superfreak (light and silent), but it lacks power compared to his 8.5 V6, power he needs to be faster than everybody else on the lake ( 75 years old, and more competitive than ever!!!)
He now wants a bigger size... 9.0 would be perfect!

Also: note that in many belgian clubs 7.5 is still the most commonly excepted maximum size for raceboard regatta's . Don't know the situation in other lands, but the 7.5 would be quite succesful here...

grtz!
toro

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OH YEAH:

definitely a wavesail, Dolf, no doubt about that!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi Toro,

I doubt that the 8.0 would work well on the SOS rocket 99 as the 7.0SF is the limit for my Evo 92. I could try to demo that combination but my big wave fins are all Tuttle so I do not think that it would be a fair test. But you raise an interesting possibility: if Sean would make a rocket 117 for the 8.0 and 9.0SF with a Tuttle fin box...?

While I admittedly am still learning the fine points of tuning the freaks, I have played with different mast combinations on the big Freaks that were too soft as well as too stiff and I can assure you that the 8.0 works perfectly on the 490 Hot Rod for my 83 kg as well as my wife's 63 kg. Extrapolating from the 9.0 on the 490 and the 7.0 on the 460 and 490, I think that it would be safe to assume that the 460 would be too soft for the 8.0 unless you were a featherweight. If it was a serious consideration for you, I could rig it for you and confirm that.

I think that my 9.0 is a great freak. If you or your friend are ever in Maui you are welcome to try it.

Jeff, so far my unofficial poll: 2 out of 2 say that the 8.0 is a wave sail, not a transition sail.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll be in Maui next july... so I'll gladly except your invitation.

smile

The fanatic 75 year old man (previous reply) spotting some nice waves -way over yonder- with my 8.0SF:

<image>

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes, it is a wave cut, but not a wave sail. It is a rule breaker, so call it what you want!
I think it is a race sail!, No a freestyle sail!, No, a yacht sail, yes that is it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi Toro,

Jeff thought that someone in Belgium is ordereing a 9.0 SF, so you may be able to try one soon. Otherwise I will be in Maui from Mar 1 - May 15 '07. Jeff might store mine until you arrive so you can try it. Send me an e-mail just before May 15 if you want me to see if I can make arrangements here.

Aloha,

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm hoping to add a 8.0 to my Freak quiver, as well as one of these:

http://www.exocet-original.com/products/konasurf.asp

Looping!

http://www.exocet-original.com/forum/read.asp?ID=1823

and maybe invest in one of these for giving lessons:

http://www.exocet-original.com/products/konamahalo.asp

I love the feel of the Freaks on flat water as well as bumpy.  Imagine riding that Mahalo with a SF8 on the back and a SF6.3 in front...

Drew

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Now your talking!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey Dolf!

I asked my sponsor to check if Jeffrey was willing to make that big SF 9.0 for that old man (see photo). He wants it completely flashy yellow, with a pirates skull in top. We ask, Jeff delivers... COOL!!!

The whole story goes like this. At first I asked Joost (my sponsor) to order that 8.0 in flashy yellow so that that old man (Engelbert) could try it, and maybe buy it. If not the sail could be used as a testsail for the 2007 testdays...
Engelbert tried it, and fell in love with the feeling (and the production quality), but it was just not powerful enough: he wants to be faster than everybody else without pumping. Since everybody else sails 7.5 or smaller, he needs at least one m? more... The 9.0SF will be perfect.
I tried it too and decided to change my 6.3SF for that 8.0SF. That way, i'll have more fun with my old raceboard on the lake nearby (= more surfing days)...
From now on I'll jump from 8.0 to 5.3SF. For me that is the perfect gap, because in waves, I don't need anything bigger than 5.3...

But i'm willing to try that 9.0 in Hawaii... smile

Grtz!
Thomas

Thumbs up Thumbs down

8.0m to 5.3m, now that is a gap!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi Thomas,

I think that you are saying that since you don't want to sail anything bigger than a 5.3 in the waves, you might as well make a big jump to a light wind 8.0 on flat water.

I am the perfect example of windsurfing being an individual sport with everyone making their own choices to suit their priorities and you need to do what works for you, but for the sake of, hopefully, an interestign discussion I will add to Jeff's obvious comment that it is a huge gap. 

I look at it quite differently than your comment "because in waves, I don't need anything bigger than 5.3...". I love wave sailing and make that by far my first priority. To that end I keep pushing the limits of 83 kg light wind wave sailing. If you go back not that long ago, anything larger than a 5.0 on a 80 liter board was considered impossible to wave sail. Then came the Fish 90, Evo 92, Aero's and recently SOS rocket 99. Now even some "purists" are talking about the advantages of extending the days in the waves with bigger wave boards.

However on the sail side I have friends who still refuse to buy a bigger than 5.0 sail. My 5.8 and 6.3 are my most used wave sails as that is the average wind for my weight in the wave season. To my delight, the 7.0 SF is so similar to the 6.3 in feel that it is no compromise to sail in up to logo or mast high waves. The 8.0 SF works as well in the waves but due to the size and "moment of inertia" my 53 year old body had to make my sessions with this a bit shorter and I cut back a bit in the size of the waves and difficulty of the conditions. I do admit that it it is a bit of a stretch to call the 9.0 a wave sail. Jeff did build me a perfectly awesome wave sail and the whole set up with Aero 117 and 32 Vector wave fin does work perfectly, but it is a physical challenge for me in more than easy chest high conditions and there is a lot of load on the rig if I take a spill. So the 9.0 is more a transition sail for me.

My long winded point is that I find that it is now very easy to extend light wind wave sailing time, which to me beats the heck out of the alternatives. You could use a 6.3 or even 7.0 to fill in the gap and have a lot more time in the waves. As I said, this is just my personal view for interest.

Please send me an e-mail around the end of April if at that time you still want me to arrange to leave my 9.0 with Jeff for you to try in July.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You're exactly right: I'll probably won't use that 8.0 on my waveboards.

But I know for sure that from the moment I can't hold the 8.0 anymore (4bft), I can immediately take my 5.3... So that huge gap will work perfectly FOR ME.

I personally prefer the 5.3SF over 5.5/5.8/6.3 as my NO wind wavesail, because the sail feels a lot lighter (4m mast). I can still toss it around the way I want. Two bft is enough to 'float' outside over/thru the waves (thanks to the SOS R99), and then when you pick out the ride back it's pure orgastic pleasure. Light sail and maximised maneuvrability!

As a matter of fact I had the 6.3 last year, and hardly didn't use it.
But then again: I'm just about 70 kg... So it's easy talking.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There is no right or wrong way to choose sail sizes. Sailor personality and confidence plays a huge part, and also riding style.
I completely understand and respect both realities and though it may not make mathematical sense, I agree with both.
The Freaks are rule breakers, and so are the riders who use them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah!   We run with scissors too!

Drew

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Any more 8.0m reports out there?
We are nearly sold out of the firsst batch already.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeff, I don't think that this is exactly what you are asking for, but here in high wind Maui the last 5 days I used the 8.0, or the 7.0 and wish it had been the 8.0, in up to logo high waves. It has obviously hugely extended my wave sail days and as I use it more I am determned that I will learn to sail it as well as my 7.0. You were right, I upped the fin size from my 30 to 32 Vector wave and it solved my spin out issue. Now I am making a new 32 fin with a NACA 008 profile instead of a 009 to see if I can get a touch more speed to make the bottom turn a bit easier.

I know that this is immature, egotistic and small of me, but it is termendous fun to be out in the waves with my 8.0 and my wife on the 6.3 and seeing all the dropped jaws on the beached sceptics who said that it was impossible to sail larger than a 5.8 in the waves. Apparently the 2 red and flourescent yellow Freaks really stand out, so you might want to prepare for a few more orders.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My 8.0 is going to be custom colors.  Still playing with layouts, but hope to order before too long  smile

Drew

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hello,

I ordered a SF 8.0.
See Avatar.

100 days till delivery.....

I hope ho have alot of fun with it.

This sail is not good te surf on a beach in Iran :-)

Henri

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes, that could be a bit dangerous.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

we are manufacturers and exporters of Fiberglass Scissors, our scissors cutting 100% Heavy Fiberglass, Heavy Leather, Heavy Kevlar, Heavy Fabric, we have scissors sizes 7" 8” 9” 10” 11” and 12" on low prices, we have all new styles scissors photos with prices if you need so tell us frankly,

Thank you,
Abid Masih (CEO)

Avec Industries
Sialkot Pakistan
Tel: 0092-523-562508
0092-331-6193739 whatsaap#
Cell:  0092-301-6162509
E-mail: info@avec-ind.com
           avec@avec-ind.com

Post's attachments

17-333-603.jpg 31.32 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dear Sir,

we are manufacturers and exporters of Dental Instruments, Surgical Instruments, and Manicure Instruments, we have best quality instruments on low prices, these are our family business,

Thank you,
Abid Masih (CEO)

Avec Industries
Sialkot Pakistan
Tel: 0092-523-562508
0092-331-6193739 whatsaap#
Cell:  0092-301-6162509
E-mail: info@avec-ind.com
           avec@avec-ind.com

Post's attachments

17-222-577.jpg 164.44 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up Thumbs down