1

Topic: KS3 vs. QU4D

Geoff's post & others got me thinking about why some of the HSM team chose QU4D vs. KS3 - for example in Pozo? It seems the KS is plenty stable to handle the wind range, obviously extremely maneuverable, it's fast & jumps well. So what is it these young experts are wanting that the KS3 doesn't have?

Not doubting just trying to understand - as an admitted KS3 fanboy...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

2

Re: KS3 vs. QU4D

An extra batten gives more stability in the mental  winds Pozo is known for..

I’m guessing if you are 80 kgs and stacked on a 3.0 you want a super stable sail and just don’t need the grunt from a KS3?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

3

Re: KS3 vs. QU4D

wully wrote:

An extra batten gives more stability in the mental  winds Pozo is known for..

I’m guessing if you are 80 kgs and stacked on a 3.0 you want a super stable sail and just don’t need the grunt from a KS3?

That would be a good theory except in reality the KS3 is more stable than QU4D(at least in my experience). In addition the riders in question are relative lightweights... Also they only make QU4D down to 3.5.... so?

Now if the new QU4D is more stable &/or they offer other advantages, what are they? If so, then they should re-think the QU4D sizing & make them - 4.0, 3.7, 3.5, 3.2, 3.0.

Again, just my curious .02

Thumbs up Thumbs down

4

Re: KS3 vs. QU4D

wully wrote:

An extra batten gives more stability in the mental  winds Pozo is known for..

I’m guessing if you are 80 kgs and stacked on a 3.0 you want a super stable sail and just don’t need the grunt from a KS3?


maybe the 2020 PW4 Sail...will be an option...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

5

Re: KS3 vs. QU4D

uwe wrote:

maybe the 2020 PW4 Sail...will be an option...

What is the PW4?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

6

Re: KS3 vs. QU4D

newfreakuser wrote:
uwe wrote:

maybe the 2020 PW4 Sail...will be an option...

What is the PW4?

a new 4 batten sail like the KS3 but with one more batten...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

7

Re: KS3 vs. QU4D

The power wave sail looks like a KS3 with an additional batten squeezed in between. Does anybody know the available sizes?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

8

Re: KS3 vs. QU4D

Mike_GR wrote:

The power wave sail looks like a KS3 with an additional batten squeezed in between. Does anybody know the available sizes?



RETAIL
3.2 135 319 340 4 2.50 5.50 3.7 147 349 340 4 2.80 6.16 4.2 157 382 370 4 3.00 6.60 4.7 165 390 370 4 3.10 6.82 5.2 172 417 400 4 3.20 6.90 5.8 180 438 400/430 4 3.40 7.30

Thumbs up Thumbs down

9 (edited by davide 2019-09-04 06:07:51)

Re: KS3 vs. QU4D

calebchinookRD wrote:
wully wrote:

An extra batten gives more stability in the mental  winds Pozo is known for..

I’m guessing if you are 80 kgs and stacked on a 3.0 you want a super stable sail and just don’t need the grunt from a KS3?

That would be a good theory except in reality the KS3 is more stable than QU4D(at least in my experience). In addition the riders in question are relative lightweights... Also they only make QU4D down to 3.5.... so?

...

Having owned both 2019 models and confirming that the KS3 is more stable than the Firelight I still do not really see the purpose of the Firelight in the line up ... the Q4AD 2019 is probably very different than the 2017 I had for a while, so no much point in commenting.

If anything it would be nice to see a light version of the wonderful KS3. Built for Bump&Jump and swell riding rather than the pounding of waves ... might try to get some carbon battens for my 4.3-4.9, at least for the mini-battens ...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

10

Re: KS3 vs. QU4D

davide wrote:
calebchinookRD wrote:
wully wrote:

An extra batten gives more stability in the mental  winds Pozo is known for..

I’m guessing if you are 80 kgs and stacked on a 3.0 you want a super stable sail and just don’t need the grunt from a KS3?

That would be a good theory except in reality the KS3 is more stable than QU4D(at least in my experience). In addition the riders in question are relative lightweights... Also they only make QU4D down to 3.5.... so?

...

Having owned both 2019 models and confirming that the KS3 is more stable than the Firelight I still do not really see the purpose of the Firelight in the line up ... the Q4AD 2019 is probably very different than the 2017 I had for a while, so no much point in commenting.

If anything it would be nice to see a light version of the wonderful KS3. Built for Bump&Jump and swell riding rather than the pounding of waves ... might try to get some carbon battens for my 4.3-4.9, at least for the mini-battens ...

The KSS is the lightweight version of the KS3. That said I had both & very hard to tell - to me not much in it & I like my light sails. This PW4 may replace both FL & QU4D?...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

11

Re: KS3 vs. QU4D

wully wrote:

An extra batten gives more stability in the mental  winds Pozo is known for..

I’m guessing if you are 80 kgs and stacked on a 3.0 you want a super stable sail and just don’t need the grunt from a KS3?

Having now sailed the KS3 (4.6) in very gusty winds between 10-40 knots over the past 3 days I don’t now see the need for a more stable sail...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

12

Re: KS3 vs. QU4D

I know what you mean, yesterday I was pushing the limits of the stability of the 4.9KSS. It was gusting to 30. I had it rigged quite full too(massive lulls too) - it was touching the boom about 75% the length. Yes I could have flattened it but I was testing fins & didn't want to bother, also I had the 4.3 already rigged on the beach but wanted to see how the fins handle the power. I finally put the 4.3 on rigged fairly lean & it was just perfect. Great to have such a stable sail that allows such overlap.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down