Topic: 6.5 SummerFreak

The new Summerfreak was delivered yesterday, and luckily today was hot with a light breeze, so I took it out for a spin.

I rigged it on an HSM 430 Hotrod with 35mm extension and used my 200-248 full carbon Fiberspar boom, so the whole rig was insanely light. Rigged to spec of 465 / 240.

This thing has some low down grunt. I originally planned to get the 7.5 but didn't have a boom long enough, and Jeff assured me the 6.5 would work well on the 430. There is so little tension in the sail, and at 73kg, I can't imagine a 460 mast would be noticeably better. Overall, I think the 6.5 is perfect for someone my size.

I would not be surprised if this sail was faster in the light stuff compared to my 8m SFUL rigged ultrasoft.

As it arrived in the smallest sail bag ever
<image>

Rigged to spec of 465 / 240
<image>

Match made in heaven with the Starboard Windsurfer LT
<image>

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: 6.5 SummerFreak

thanks for pics...etc

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nice report Rod! Let me know your thoughts on the window position and size. Also would be amazing if you ever get to sail next to the stock windsurfer LT rig.
Update us with any news! Happy New Year!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi Jeff.
I'll take note of the window next time I sail, although yesterday I was having to watch out for a guy fishing from a kayak, so I'd say if you thought it could be slightly bigger, I'd probably agree.

Some further observations.

1) it is surprisingly well behaved in stronger wind. I would say gusting to 15 knots, it remained stable and easy to use. So far I have not deviated from spec 465/240.

2). It flutters very loudly when sitting into the wind as when tacking, weird after the quiet SF.

3) it sucks at tacking. That is a long boom to get round

4) it takes longer to put away as you have to lay it out flat, ( not easy in any kind of breeze ), and fold it just right to get it back in the bag. Folding a sail seems unnatural but Jeff assures me it is fine for the sail.

5) power delivery is pretty sudden. It's quite on/ off, so on the Windsurfer where there are no footstraps, you have to concentrate in gusty conditions.

6)  the magic zone on a board like the LT is a fast slog, just below planing, where the sails power pulls you along at a really nice pace, and you can just hook in and cruise.

7) I'd say wind strength 5-15 knots is very comfortable for the 6.5 for me at 73kg.

8) after 3 sessions, I'm glad I bought it. It doesn't really replace any of my SF, it just offers a different unique sensation which is fun and easy to use.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

#3- tacking, does the clew touch the water when tacking? Or is it that the rig is so far forward you need to walk up and around it when you tack?
#4- you could also roll it loosely, then fold in those 60cm lengths. Don't worry about creasing the material or the window.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

#3. Yes, the clew touches the water. So far I've mostly used the board with the mast near the back and the centerboard up, so it may also be the board is slow to tack. I need to try it with my 6.3 or 8.0 SF.
Yesterday with the base at the back of the track, I was closing the gap when planing in the gusts...not sure if this suggests the clew could be higher?. Also, I'm 6'1" and I feel like the boom cutout could be a bit higher....although that is usually the case on most of my sails.
#4 I'll try the roll and fold method and report back

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This sail outline follows the original WS sail outline. Better in non-planning conditions, but less suited to planning.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

8 (edited by rod_r 2019-01-04 10:31:48)

Understood. I notice the old sail seem to rig with a sizable gap between bottom of sail and board. Maybe I might rig it a little higher on the mast

Post's attachments

IMG_1577.JPG 45.59 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would say up to 10cm higher might not be a bad idea.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just a quick update.
1. Sail set with 10cm gap to DH pulley is perfect.
2. Window is good as is for height
3. For a board like the LT, it is a better match than my SFUL. Interestingly, with the summerfreak, it feels great with no straps and feet nicely curved on the rail while planing, but when using the SF, I immediately feel like I want to be in footstraps

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Very interesting. Low end should be heaps better than the SuperFreak of ANY size.....that loooong boom sucks in any moving air molecules!

Thumbs up Thumbs down