1 (edited by brettwnh 2018-11-20 22:34:55)

Topic: Superfly masts

Hi. I have a 7m Superfly (its excellent) & will shortly have the 5.5m & 8m versions.  I'm struggling to find info on the best masts to use with these and have only seen your comment that the 7m works equally well with SDM or RDM.  With the 7m I'm currently using a Gaastra 460 100% carbon SDM & long extn.  Seems to work alright but what do I know! I have a 430 Severne RDM 100% but have an idea that isn't going to work with the 5.5m. Maybe I need to buy a 2nd hand 430 NP SDM for that?? Any info on the best mast options & attributes for all these sails would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Superfly masts

Since no one else has chimed in... You really need a Flex top mast to get the best performance from any Hotsail. A constant curve mast that leans on the FT side will also work but avoid Hard top. That said, The Gaastra & Severne mast are on the hard top side of the spectrum - depending on size & vintage, so not ideal. Obviously a HSM mast will be the best fit, but Neil Pryde should be a good match, As should newer Simmer, Goya, & some Ezzy sizes. The Chinook mast are also pretty close in bend as they are constant curve leaning towards Flex top.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The SuperFly is a special sail that can use a more conventional constant curve mast, or slight flex top. Mostly it has to be STIFF! The 7.0 only works with a 490, not any extended 460 masts.
The 5.5m needs a 430, and the 8.0m needs at least a 490, but should use a 520.
These sails do NOT twist off like a conventional sail, they are much more like a wing sail that does not twist and simply sheets in and out. That is why the clew is so low, so you can still hang off your boom in stronger wind yet keep the sail very vertical.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for that.  Two more questions please. 1 - Just to remove a little doubt on my part, while a stiffer mast is better... which is better between a low or high carbon content mast?.  I'd prefer to use 100% carbon to keep the weight down.  2 - Which is better - RDM or SDM or does it not matter? Thanks again.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Certainly the high carbon is always better if the curve is the correct one.
On the 7.0m and 8.0m the SDMs work really well, and the HOT ROD 490 works really well, but few other RDM mast will. On the 5.5m, RDM is best, but not required.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi Brett

What sail were you using before the superfly?

Currently the biggest foiling sail I use is a 4.7 superfreak. I am kind of worried that the 5.5 supefly will be too big?

Roland

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm toying with the idea of an 8m Superfly for minimum breeze flights.  I'd like to know from Brett (or anyone) how the Superfly benefits their foiling, as the 6.5 Speedfreak actually works nicely with my Zeeko (freeride foil, not a small sail 'shovel' foil). What I don't like when using most sails, is that their fluctuating twist unsettles the ride- but that doesn't happen with the Speedfreak. I think my main gain would be the extra 1.5M, although the Superfly also has that high aspect ratio , which the race sails are adopting.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi BBear

I have heard that foiling sails want a tight leach. What is the leach on the speedfreak like?

Roland

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Speedfreak has a tight leech compared to most sails, so 'flaps' less (see the rigging video on the product page). I believe all dedicated foil sails have relatively tight leeches (including even moth sails), but it appears the Superfly cross section is almost completely aligned.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Superfly leech is much tighter than a Speedfreak. The Speedfreak can be rigged quite tight, but no where near as tight as the SuperFly. The Superfly does NOT like soft masts, so high carbon and little extension is best.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In reply to the above, I've got the 5.5 & 7m Superflys (SF) and really like them.  IMO they are definitely better than non foil specific sails i.e. : they are super light weight with both at ~3kg; great for pumping onto the foil; & very responsive while in flight - esp the 5.5 which allows very quick response to gusts.  I'm using these with 100% Carbon XO masts of 430 & 490.  Chose XO based on cost & match to HSM mast characteristics on the Unifiber Mast Selector Table.  Previously I used a 7.7 Gastra Cosmic twin cam, 6.6m HSM Speedfreak, 5.7 Severne Gator & 5.3 Blade.  When rigged with very little downhaul to get a tight leech these sails worked fine, but I def noticed an improvement with the SFs.  I've got the JP135 Pro board + NP Flight F4 Evo 2019 foil & I weigh ~ 75kgs.  This board/foil combo is super light and the sails complement it & my style well (freeride - free race).  The 7m SF is at least as powerful as the 7.7 Cosmic was but much lighter in the hands & with a lot of pumping I can get flying in 8-10 knots.  The 5.5 gets me flying in surprisingly little wind e.g. 12kns and its great in say 15-23kns - really controllable.  If its over 20kns taking another 2cm on the clew out-haul definitely helps control.  Don't know if this is right or not but I adjust control via the out-haul & not the down-haul which stays at the recommended setting.  I've recently made a 2nd stubby foil board  - 110l, 204x70 that I'm using with the NP Glidewind foil.  Not used it much but the 5.5 works well with this in what seems like very little wind. Going to experiment in more wind and swell so will prob use my 4.7 & 4.2 Superfreak MEs, maybe smaller. My friend who's ~90kgs has the 7 & 8m SFs.  Although there's only 1m difference he thinks the 8m feels significantly larger and more powerful than the 7m & he's also a SF fan.  My only reservation on the SFs is that after maybe 10 months of heavy use on the 5.5, the sail cloth covering a batten at the clue end has lost its stitching & the fabric has split requiring repair.  The other batten ends look like they might be going the same way and this isn't through my mistreatment of the sail?  That aside the SFs are excellent.  I would not go back.  Hope that helps...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great feedback, thanks!
Please send me a picture of the loose stitching, sounds and bit odd. hot@hotsailsmaui.com
Oh, and if you have pics of you sailing those I would be stoked to see then!
Cheers!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi - Will def send a photo of that sail issue when I can, I'm travelling at the moment.  With regard to pictures of me sailing the SFs - you already have one sent from Alan Madloop - that's me on your webpage for the SFs on my JP135 with the 5.5!  Cheers.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Further update about the batten pocket sail split - after discussing this with Jeffrey & re-examining the sails batten pockets its probably fair to say that the split may have happened as a result or snagging or catching on something as opposed to a fault in the sail and the other batten pockets are perhaps just showing general wear and tear from life on the beach.  If I find later there's more splitting I'll add further comment but for now I'm treating this as a one off.

Thumbs up Thumbs down