Topic: UK dealers?

Are there any shops stocking Hot Sails in the UK?

I'd like to try out some sails before I buy but an internet search doesn't bring up any.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: UK dealers?

if you can't find any, or anyone at the beach who would let you try out some, just ask here.
people are pretty accurate with their descriptions, especially about the feel of every sail!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sergio,  I can read a hundred reviews but need to be able to try the sail..

What other people may like may not suit me.

For example my experience of the Superfreak ME was at odds with most other peoples. I did not like that sail - apart from the looks!
A friend has a 4.7 KS3 that I'd like to try if ever the conditions are suitable but he's about 70 kgs and I'm 98. From experience what suits a light weight does not often suit a heavy sailor.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

well I know what you mean... but after having read people's opinions I've always found the impressions pretty accurate. It also depends on what you're sailing and what would like to achieve: control, softness> freaks control, brutal power, superb riding, ks3/s medium power, handling, fun riding>qu4ds no brainer in whatever  conditions> firelight. that said, hope you'll find some to try! cheers!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

wully wrote:

Sergio,  I can read a hundred reviews but need to be able to try the sail..

What other people may like may not suit me.

For example my experience of the Superfreak ME was at odds with most other peoples. I did not like that sail - apart from the looks!
A friend has a 4.7 KS3 that I'd like to try if ever the conditions are suitable but he's about 70 kgs and I'm 98. From experience what suits a light weight does not often suit a heavy sailor.

Hope you find a dealer, it seems there was a recent change, but not sure...What discrepancy did you find with the SFME? ... Just curious... What do you like in a sail? I have steered a few people away from KS3 due to what their preference & riding style is. That said, I may never ride any other sail!(except to try...)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

6 (edited by wully 2018-10-10 08:16:19)

calebchinookRD wrote:

Hope you find a dealer, it seems there was a recent change, but not sure...What discrepancy did you find with the SFME? ... Just curious... What do you like in a sail? I have steered a few people away from KS3 due to what their preference & riding style is. That said, I may never ride any other sail!(except to try...)

I could not get the SFME to set without a step in the soft part of the sail no matter what mast I set it on or how I tuned it which may be the reason it lacked any power, it was a 5.8 but felt like my 5.2 Tushingham Rock - which I have a full quiver of and would continue to use if they were still made. I did “ask Jeffrey” but got no response.

I’ve always liked semi-soft sails for the variable power delivery- I dislike on/off sails that feel like a door!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wully,

What is a "step in the soft part of the sail"?

I've not heard anyone describe a sail set that way before. If possible, post a picture. And please include details about the mast you are using.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

that sounds like the dimple at the mast, that's what gives those sails their character.  Flat when riding or sheeting out, fills up to get planing. If you've tried to flatten it out on land that may be why you hardly planed. Anyway Freaks are not reactive sails, as the KS3 that are the opposite, even if they still flatten out when needed. Cheers!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I used several different masts from different companies - but not an HSM mast, both RDM and SDM but the step in the soft part of the sail between the ends of the battens and the mast was still there when sheeted in. With no wind in the sail there was of course some slack material  that 'should' fill with the wind to make a nice profile- but I could never get a smooth profile in the sail no matter what I tried. instead of a profile

like this  (   

I got this  <   

Hope that makes sense?

I have had semi soft-sails before and have looked at an HSM KS3 recently that had a smooth curve profile in the soft section , as did the Taka 3 I've seen.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The profile shape you describe is characteristic of all Superfreaks if you mean the "kink" at the end of the short battens. That said, it has no effect on the power or performance. The lack of power is likely due to tuning or the particular size you were using. There were certain sizes which had to be re-worked to get more power(early 4.7 ME's were one...) so perhaps it was just that specific sail. When I sailed them it was only in small sizes(3.7-4.2) & I consistently outplaned others on various brands such as Ezzy. The Super freak sails in general are kind of Marmite sails that may or may not appeal to you. Personally I love the KS3! However, though it is night & day different to the SFME, it is also somewhat unique in feel so you may get on better with the QU4D or Firelight which are more conventional feeling - though also great sails.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

With sufficient power, the "step" at the luff end of the battens will go away and the SF will have the nicely curved shape you imagine as "normal". I've marveled at this non-aerodynamic looking shape, and all I can say is it works.

As to grunt, or lack of it, my personal feeling is that Freaks are - subjectively - about 0.5 sq.m. less powerful than most freeride sails of same size rating. For that reason, I tend to rig them with a little bit less downhaul that HSM specs.

On the good size, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a sail that's as comfortable and controllable to use when it's massively overpowered. The top end on Freaks is amazing.

Watch the rigging video on Super Freaks (it's in the SuperFreak threads), start with your sail rigged as in the video, and then try it with a cm or two (max) less downhaul. The secret to proper downhaul is to look for a dimple in the luff sleeve cloth at the 2nd batten (i.e., from the top). Just adjust the downhaul until you see that dimple (no boom on the mast. For max power, add outhaul until the sail just touches the boom arm when you're maximally powered on the water. (Won't be able to know the proper outhaul until you're actually planing and powered up, but once you've got it you're good forever).

To depower, once you've found a downhaul you like, only use more outhaul (leaving downhaul alone).

Hope this helps!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Thank Geoff.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The "Kink" or "bubble", in the luff of the SuperFreak is a BIG part of why the sail works the way it does. My suggestion is if the sail is working well for you but this annoys you, just stop looking at it and enjoy your sailing!
The Superfreaks are rule beaters and don't follow the norms of windsurf sails. Like Caleb said "You either love them or can leave them", not a lot of gray area!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've been sailing the KS3 since they first came out (2013?) and they are still my favorite sails. About 2 years ago a good friend of mine rattled me by consistently telling me 3 batten sails were shyte to the point where I thought he might be right, so I tried a bunch of other brands. After 12 months of trying North Heros, Goya Banzai, Neil Pryde Combat and Atlas, Loft Pure Lip and Aerotech Phantom in their biggest sizes (5.8 and up), I decided that the KS3 was the best of the bunch for wave riding. It is as early planing as any of the other brands I tried, but has a light feeling while sailing in a straight line, and seems to go neutral in a top turn better than any of the others. Some of the other brands I liked enough that if the KS3 was no longer available I would choose that sail, and others I really disliked (Hero 5.8 gets special mention for not being to my taste). I'm lighter than you (85 kg), and own KS3 in 6.7 / 6.1 / 5.5 / 5.2.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

5.8 KSS on it's way!

Really looking forward tot rying this sail out.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

wully wrote:

5.8 KSS on it's way!

Really looking forward tot rying this sail out.

from UK ?

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

From France..

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sweet! I have never sailed a KS3 that big, let us know how you get on...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

calebchinookRD wrote:

Sweet! I have never sailed a KS3 that big, let us know how you get on...

KSS 6.7 works for foiing too !

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down