Topic: The new Windsurfer LT

Have anyone tried this?

<image>

<image>

This is a new board designed by Bruce Wylie and made by Cobra, as an upgrade to the Original Windsurfer, and made so it can be branded by other companies, Starboard and Exocet have already done this and Naish should bring theirs to market soon.
http://www.windsurfingukmag.co.uk/cobra … t-concept/

The Starboard one:
<image>

It was introduced and used during the just finalized Windsurfer Worlds on Lake Garda, Italy
https://www.surfertoday.com/windsurfing … -champions

Will be a perfekt match to a SummerFreak instead of the class legal sail/rig smile

I'm looking in to this due to the simplicity, but so far my personal take on the pros and cons is;

Pro's
- Light weight ~15 kg - much lighter than my Mistral Comp by ~8 kg lol
- Simple - no footstraps, sliding masttrack etc.
- Performance - is apparently fast and will plane (see the video from the Worlds)
- Interesting price point (apparantly an introduction offer?)
- Perfect learning platform

Con's
- Another huge board to transport smile
- High risk of overlapping my other longboards
- The rig is old school, but needed if you want to compete! - the board can be bought without it though

This is a serious competitor to the Kona, but more simple...
(Had a Kona and sold it again, as the it's to much of a compromise board...!)
The AHD Tactik is an other contender with no straps
And apparently there is an other short raceboard by Bruce Kendall in the making/production; https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Win … all?page=1

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The new Windsurfer LT

I like the look of it too. Just checked with the local retailer in New Zealand and he says the RRP is 2400, although I can get 20% off that for pre order which is the same for say, a Kona or Go. It looks like the Australian distributor is retailing a complete board and rig for 1899!

As with the Starboard windsup I just bought, I think I really need st least one strap to make it a genuine all round board. Also, after the windsup, I'm very wary of the planing ability of these kinds of boards, ( although I know this is not a windsup )

Thumbs up Thumbs down

rod_r wrote:

As with the Starboard windsup I just bought, I think I really need st least one strap to make it a genuine all round board. Also, after the windsup, I'm very wary of the planing ability of these kinds of boards, ( although I know this is not a windsup )

I think the design criteria was more about triangle course racing, and therefore the planing aspect is not in focus, and really shouldn't as this is also about getting people on the water in lighter winds and I just judged the planing ability by wathcing the video from the Windsurfer Worlds.

Personally I would use it for 3 bft and below and primarily for hotdoggin', teaching and cruising around, so there would hardly be a need for a strap - you could install one yourself though - IMHO I think it is one of the charms, sailing without straps.

When hotdoggin' you don't want to much clutter on the deck.... - Doing it on my F2 Lightning hurts the toes with all those straps, the large daggerboard, track pedal etc... big_smile

I do like the simplicity and light weight - a light wind "do-it-all" kind of board, but yes, a windSUP is close to the same - often minus the daggerboard.
I have a 12' SUP that have a masttrack, that I'm going to install a US box in, for a centerfin which will make even better for teaching - and it is already heaps of fun cruising and hotdoggin around on smile

If I didn't already have 3 longboards I wouldn't have thought twice about pulling the trigger on this one already...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Surfingsen wrote:

If I didn't already have 3 longboards I wouldn't have thought twice about pulling the trigger on this one already...

Somehow, I have ended up with a 12'2 Starboard windsup, a Kona one, a mistral Malibu 325 and I just bought a fanatic cat 380.......so I really need another longboard :-)

Yeah, I get the no strap thing. It's just at the upper range it can get a little dicey....feels like I'm making holes in the deck with my toes trying to hang on. Interesting though that the wally has footstrap inserts

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I pulled the trigger and have pre ordered one. I'm just not happy enough with the Starboard Windsup 12'2 freeride. Should arrive December for our summer.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

6 (edited by Geoff 2018-08-13 18:25:55)

I like the looks of it.
Getting back to easy-to-use funboard. Hopefully a little lighter, easier and a touch more stable for newbies.

Needs to be colorful, easy to set up, and (comparatively) easy to learn to ride.
Cheap would be good, too...

Great board for a set of classic Super Freaks: guessing 8.0, 6.7, 5.8

Will be curious to find out how well it surf sails (without centerboard).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

board is really nice for light wind. No straps were INTENTIONAL. This is not a short board and you don't need straps when sailing a displacement board. Board is well built and they did a great job on the board. Not so thrilled with the rig and sail however. 30 year old style "mylar" sail, which will fall apart.
Not cheap, but fair price for what you get.
This board checks off one big problem off the sport, but there are a few others it does not address like PRICE.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I watched the videos of the race events...the sail looked old-school unstable.

I understand the simple, no battens for weight idea, but it seems that the board is the best of the 80s and sail one of the worst. If need for really light, why not something like a 'SF-KS3'? A 3 batten Freak. That would be light, very forgiving and even more colorful than what they're selling.

Even a regular Freak would be good. That, or I've never sailed one of the Summer Freaks (is that that sail is called?). Several of the longboard users on the forum like the Summer Freak as an old-school replacement sail. The Summer Freak is surely better than what they're shipping.

Really seems like Cobra missed the mark on the sail.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

9 (edited by rod_r Yesterday 13:36:13)

I guess they didn't want to force racers to upgrade their entire kit by not updating the sail. I read that existing WOD sailors in Australia were offered the board for 750 as a trade up, and 1999 for full rig.

I have had to pay RRP 2400, [ less 25% discount for prepay ], so 1800, which is decent but 2400 off ther shelf is about the same for a SB Go or similar.

I have 6.3 / 8.0 / 9.0 SFUL but if I may look at a summerfreak.

Thumbs up Thumbs down