1 (edited by Surfingsen 2018-07-26 01:24:18)

Topic: SuperFly

Saw this on Bruno Andre's Instagram - the new HotSails SuperFly

https://www.instagram.com/p/BloDOivgKA4 … noandref76

It is also on the HSM Facebook page.

<image>

Obviously an upgrade to his previous hydrofoil sail.

Any insights or more information?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: SuperFly

Yes, this is the 2019 SuperFly in the sizes 5.5, 7.0 and 8.0m.
Sails is all Xply and the power is SIGNIFICANT! Really pulls like a OX in low wind, but then feathers away once up on foil due to the extreme high aspect design. Concept is a lot like a glider wing, and for foiling it is pretty amazing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

some specs Jeff ?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I suppose the 7.0 fits a 460 with some extension?
And a relative short boom....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

490 mast and around 180 boom from memory

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Any thoughts on upside/downside of regular Freaks for foiling. Been using them successfully, but seem to be getting overpowered pretty easy when on a beam reach

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Every sail does that on a foil, but best is to take a smaller size, rig with very low downhaul tension to keep leech as tight as possible, then outhaul a touch more than normal.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OK cool.  I generally have pretty light downhaul but the leech is not tight so I will try that. What makes a tight leach beneficial?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

physiorol wrote:

Any thoughts on upside/downside of regular Freaks for foiling. Been using them successfully, but seem to be getting overpowered pretty easy when on a beam reach

Had my first flights yesterday with a 6.0 SF UL - I experienced that, due to the elsewhere brilliant feature with the "clutch" effect of the SuperFreak, that I lost the power when sheeting out once on the foil, and therefore came off the foil again. Pilot error I'm sure, but will try with my 6.5 SpeedFreak next time, for that more constant power wink

As it was my first time, a lot of things where going on - it was like learning to windsurf all over again - but I am super stoked from those first flights, and can't wait to get out again big_smile

Regarding the loose vs tight leach:
A loose leach will "spill" the wind out of the sail and be generating speed instead of drag, which is why it is easier/possible to hang on to larger sails in more wind (just think formula sails). This was the big revolution compared to old sails that had very narrow wind range due to tight leaches. Sails on sailboats and very old windsurf sails have/had a line going up along the leach so you could tighten it depending on the wind.... 
Therefore a tight leach should generate more power at low winds which is needed to pull the board up on the foil.

And by looking on the pictures of the SuperFly you can see that it actually opens up (twist is the right word) but is not flat in the top if you compare the picture to one of a slalom sail like the GPS or of the SpeedFreak.

Hope my explanation is correct - else Jeff must correct me smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks sen

Last two sessions I switched from single point harness line to wide double attachments and it was a completely different story. I was able to stay hooked in but still spill some power.  I think staying hooked in allowed me to keep some mast foot pressure and not have the foil rise up out of the water and stall.

With the single attachment harness lines I used to use I guess it was much harder to sheet out?

I did try a little less downhaul but I was always  a bit low on downhaul so I do not think this made the big difference.

Thumbs up Thumbs down