Topic: 6.7 superfreak classic

Jeff suggested i would be ok using a 460 in this sail at my weight of 215#with some extra downhaul. using the chinook 100%/imcs25, curve numbers are compatible. pitchiness does not go away even at 468 luff length,although the sail looks alright. problem is the bag(464) and the sail(458) have different luff lengths printed.  tried to rig it on my hotrod 430 to test. with the base at 28 like it says on the sail the bottom batten is still 3inches in front of the mast.  with a 34 base like the bag says it did still not feel down hauled enough on the water. any help appreciated.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: 6.7 superfreak classic

I use a 460 too...best choice at your weight

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulf wrote:

Jeff suggested i would be ok using a 460 in this sail at my weight of 215#with some extra downhaul. using the chinook 100%/imcs25, curve numbers are compatible. pitchiness does not go away even at 468 luff length,although the sail looks alright. problem is the bag(464) and the sail(458) have different luff lengths printed.  tried to rig it on my hotrod 430 to test. with the base at 28 like it says on the sail the bottom batten is still 3inches in front of the mast.  with a 34 base like the bag says it did still not feel down hauled enough on the water. any help appreciated.

Hmm, could be the 6.7 is a bit more picky than other sails & wants full flex top - though I would think the 430 HotRod would rig it well in that case - especially since that size was particularly designed to fit on a 430, just be a bit soft for your weight.

Maybe you could post some pics of it rigged on each mast?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Watch this video. The sail is several model years old, but it'll still work for your sail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86V8KPcaHYQ

The KEY POINT is to rig downhaul until there is a small dimpling in the luff sleeve at the 2nd batten. No matter what the printed value says, on the sail or the bag, use the amount of downhaul that produces the dimple. If you want deep and powerful, then make it a bigger dimple (the sail will be a little (very little) twitchy in gusts but easy to control). If like flatter and smoother, higher top end, make it a smaller dimple. I'd recommend erring on the side of deep, since Freaks are very tolerant of gusts.

Once you have the dimple size/shape you like, use that downhaul forever...or at least until the sail is stretched out badly and you may need a bit more DH. Only adjust outhaul once you have the "right" downhaul that you prefer.

Once you get it, rigging a Freak is very simple. Downhaul to the desired dimple at the #2 batten, outhaul to taste for the conditions.

Good luck!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

helpful stuff. uwe, happy to hear you're using 460 also. how much base extension do you use? thanks for the rigging video Geoff.  i've been concentrating on getting the bottom batten at least even with the front of the mast, will watch the second batten next time i rig. would love to hear from Jeff as to the correct luff length of this sail.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

extension 0...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The 430 at your weight will be a bit "soft" and gutless. I would go 460 if at all possible.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

8 (edited by Geoff 2018-07-19 16:22:51)

Been meaning to post the details, but I had to go look on my sail and haven't had the chance until now.

I use a 430 Hot Rod with 30 cm of added downhaul, but I weigh about 165-170. At ~100 kg, I agree that a 460 is a much better choice and would likely have that at 0 cm added downhaul. So there are at least 2 of us that vote for 460 cm as our fave luff length for the 6.7.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

thanks all for the help, the rigging video and second batten dimple was key rather than bottom batten relative to the mast. finally got chance to sail it again today on the 460(chinook 100) and turns out it was weird because of too much downhaul.felt great with close to zero as recommended.had a nice day. and for what it is worth i might have gotten the last 2pc. 490 ultra shipped out of maui and what a world of difference on my 8.0 freak when it lightened up today. at 93kg i thought i could get away with the stiffer n0limitz fast but the sail breathes so much better on the ultra.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulf wrote:

thanks all for the help, the rigging video and second batten dimple was key rather than bottom batten relative to the mast. finally got chance to sail it again today on the 460(chinook 100) and turns out it was weird because of too much downhaul.felt great with close to zero as recommended.had a nice day. and for what it is worth i might have gotten the last 2pc. 490 ultra shipped out of maui and what a world of difference on my 8.0 freak when it lightened up today. at 93kg i thought i could get away with the stiffer n0limitz fast but the sail breathes so much better on the ultra.

Unfortunately the No-Limitz bend is much too stiff in the top. I once tried to rig my Firelight on a Sumo....it was horrible!

Thumbs up Thumbs down