Re: Which is the better gliding longboard

ironically when you re-kindle an old post, it is usually out of date or passé
however, we are "speaking" about longboards here where there are few current models
DIV2, Equipe, Fanatic CATs, Superlight = the classics
I have a Dufour Wing, Fanatic Ultra CAT, Mistral Equipe I and just recently acquired a Mistral COMP SST
http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2015/0 … n-sst.html
some are claiming it was the demise of the Superlight !!
have only just begun testing it and so far so good !!
here is a small video on the local river with my SW Retro 8.0 and not my HSM SpeedFreak 8.5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdpwA67nWeU

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm a bit late to this party but I seem to be the only person who has sailed a Lechner, the 1992 Olympic board and a Serenity.  The Lechner was long gone when I rented the Serenity.  They are not comparable.  The Lechner was, obviously, a full race machine requiring so much skill that they couldn't get enough competitors for the Olympics.  With enough power (wind + sail) you got in the straps and planed on the back 3 feet of board.  It pointed very high.  It will beat any of the modern wide race board on a triangular or most any other course.  I know that because my buddy was doing exactly that.  In fact he made the 2nd buoy before the  others reached the first, then he fell.

The Serenity is a ghoster.  It was designed for winds under 8kts and sails under 6M.  Starboard deliberately left the straps behind.  It was delightful to launch out the Canadian Hole in a few kts of wind and trick others into thinking there was real wind.  On the other hand when I got caught in 8+ kts with a 7.0 sail I couldn't control it.  I still want one.  I can use a ghoster almost all the time on the Potomac.

Bottom line use something else with more than 8kts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Respect for your opinion and test. Only strange thing is that Serenity is always used with sails BIGGER than 8,0 sqm, Tiesda You, the main shaper, said that in his opinion was almost impossible to use small sails, so I'm bit curious about your experience. See on YouTube videos.
On upper wind limit I'll set it slightly up maybe 10-12 kts, but maybe it depends I'm an heavier sailor, 90kg-198lbs.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

if anyone is still looking for a DIV II (a bit $$$)
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-nautique/l … nFlag=true
i found a Mistral Equipe II  - sorry GEM

Thumbs up Thumbs down

30 (edited by Nico 2016-05-25 00:17:29)

I've just had another nice session in Venice Lagoon with my Serenity in 6-7 knots. Everytime I feel is by far the best board I've chosen and I'll ever choose. I can really enjoy windsurfing almost everyday I want, even in my so wind-poor town!
Some words, I've just read a sad interview to Robby Naish about the markeT and future of our sport. at the end he say that some good news can come from the fact that trendy sup beginner soon realize that with a small sail they can go three-four time quicker that with the boring slogging-rowing of sup; and then try windsurfing. This means mainly on flat water with better with long cruise or race sup boards at the end, so not much differently from the Serenity concept...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No news about longboarding so let me link my short new Serenity video, in my usual spot, a simple one, no time for titles, intro etc, music choosen from the youtube ones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WC6qWVdtXI
As usual I've tried to plane in gusty 9 knots with the F158 and usual Stealth 9,5, but no way, and wind gust where away from my base (the boat...). Instead a lot of speed and joy with Serenity, with a succesfull attempt to jibe (not so easy with a 61,5 cm round hull - 24,21 inches, at least for a pig like me). Consider that gopro mast mount reduces speed impression when board mount increases it a lot.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Looks like she scoots along. I like how the video shows that longboards throw spray and a wake, which really helps the sensation of sailing and speed. In a performance longboard, one thing I like is getting in the beating straps and balancing the forces of sail/centerboard. It's more work than it looks, and throws spray. Beats schlogging by a damnsite. The Serenity definitely looks tricky to maneuver!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

33 (edited by Nico 2017-05-25 01:31:52)

No pain no gain... So nothing is boring about Serenity. Even beachstart is a new experience, as you don't feel the edges and stability of the deck you'r stepping on... Can't imagine waterstarting (mine is a shallow water spot).
Another crazy feature is that everytime you have to keep in mind that for turning you have to push on the opposite edge of the board, so before tacking on the right side you have to push with the toes on the left-downwind side... But... Except this time that somehow in some gusts Serenity started "planing" and then I realized acting like other boards, so for turning she started asking to be pushed on the right-upwind side!
Last thing... I keep on asking myself what wolud be the effect of foiling the Serenity, as her (?) deeptuttle box is already placed in good a forward position...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Foiling a Serenity would be cool. In fact the KITE company Slingshot already offers a windsurf foil hull for extreme light winds. Google "Flyer 280"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ouch, so nice....
I'd need a big van for all the board I would carry with me and this is one. The shorter Serenity I would carry with me everywhere, for paddling, foiling or simply going around.
Unforutately there is also the clear statement that a normal deeptuttle box is not foil-proof, so no way to try it on my Serenity, as there are no new ones to buy in case of breackage...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

... Or better very few ones, like this MkI in middlewest of Germany http://www.dailydose.de/private-kleinan … eid=254740
Not the best and less used, but for a really small price

Thumbs up Thumbs down

37 (edited by Nico 2017-07-02 22:16:30)

Serenity imho the best glider. Clearly not the best planing board, it is not made for that, and so last saturday a mistake of wind evaluation caused to me to proof it.
In few word after a lucky thursday planning with Flare 107, seeing forecast with no more than 12 knots and being still tired, I've told to myself let's go out for a relaxing ride with my Serenity and old Stealth 8,5. Only with my Serenity and this the mistake, usually the couple is Serenity+Formula 158, with higher wind Formula 158+Flare 107.
But wind started increasing more and more, up to 18-20 knots... So for first time after 7 years I own the serenity I've experienced the incredible sensation of almost-planing with a 460 cm beast with at least 2/3 of hull outside water. Clealy I missed the Flare or at least the Formula. The thin stern of Serenity wasn't able to stay full over the watrer surface, so Serenity didn't accelerate too much.
And so I was thinking what if I put not the mast but only the wing of a foil in the midle-rear deeptuttlebox of the centerboard-fin, so not stressing the box with a leverage but pushing up the thin stern.... Semifoling the Serenity? ;-)))

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Foil will lift that up and out. No question.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nico, it might be possible to semi foil your serenity if virus ever release their hybrid fin (can't post the link)

btw I had an old Mistral D2, and have sailed Serenity in a couple of locations. I'd say the biggest difference is that the D2 is designed to plane (like a boat- semi plan in WS terms). Up until that point I think the Serenity is faster and more pleasant (even if it may not point as high). However the D2 planes in F2/3 and once up would pass the Serenity. In your location I'd be tempted by an Exocet D2 (but not easy to come by).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffrey Henderson wrote:

Foil will lift that up and out. No question.

But would it be sailable?  How much width is needed for leverage over the foil?  No Serenity's around anymore, but have been considering converting a 14' race sup to a light wind board with a Tuttle box that could take a foil.  Like a Slingshot Flyer.  But board is only 24" wide - thought perhaps that might be an issue with the foil.

Thumbs up Thumbs down