Topic: Speed Freek 10.0

Took out the Ultra Cat with the 10.0 Speed Freak for the fist tome, what a pisser.
Will be up in Seaford Virginia for US Nationals

Post's attachments

20180422_140344.jpg 1.88 mb, 1 downloads since 2018-04-23 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Speed Freek 10.0

Ohhhh, damn, that's just too tough...

Waiting for mine - should get to me in May - going on a Kona CarbOne

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ooooohhh!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Camless 7 or cambered 6, no question, this sail looks really a masterpiece.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Speedfreak 10.0 C74 is here at last! Thanks so much to Jeff and Kyla for speeding it over to me in Massachusetts.

Here it's rigged on a Mauisails SRS 520 C75 IMCS32. This is from the hardtop generation of Mauisails but apparently the 75 is really just a 12% CC and I think it'll be ok for now. It's rigged right at 521/234 - with a little more downhaul the leech loosens up but the bottom batten starts to s-curve. I'm picking up a newer 490 next week (MS Race100K and think that should work better). I also tried it today on an old Sailworks XR490 and it wasn't pretty - fluttery leech, very back-hand-heavy, bottom batten in a big S - amazing what a difference the mast makes.

Post's attachments

FullSizeRender.jpg 102.79 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How will anyone see you?  wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Geoff wrote:

How will anyone see you?  wink

Yeah yeah - said the man with a rainbow on his sail! I didn't want to wait for a custom so I took whatever they had coming in, but I really like the colors as it happens - they make me smile.

Got it wet for the first time today - 8-21 on an inland lake. What a fun sail! Super smooth and it never felt close to being overpowered. Really brought the Kona CarbOne to life and I can't wait to try it on my big slalom board. If it's high-end windrange is really as extreme as it seems to be I may be able to go straight from this to a 7.5 - perhaps another SF...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

...exactly what I've done for my quiver in Venice, Spf 10-Spf 7,5

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, yeah, 10.0 to 7.5 should be a piece of cake.

I've had a few Freaks with orange/yellow panels on the top and I think you'll find that spectators will really like your sail. Universally, they say "I saw you all the way across the lake". They really like the bright colors, you won't be disappointed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

10 (edited by joe windsurfer 2018-06-14 20:39:56)

what did the first OP mean when he said "what a pisser" ??
the 10-oh SpeedFreaks are all with the single camber now or ??
none ever seem available - need to order one by one ??
GEM got me started with the proto SPF 8.5
still drool on the thought of an HSM SPF 10.0 !!!
here's my SPF... no 10-oh YET

<image>

the S on bottom batten is NOT always there ...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

A little more feedback on my 10.0 now that I have a few days on it, all of them so far in New England on a Kona CarbOne with a 54cm fin (My pocket-formula board is down south).

It's crazy easy to sail, even overpowered it has great manners and sort of absorbs the gusts and feeds them into pull in small increments, so there's never a sudden surge of power just smooth acceleration. It doesn't point maybe quite as high as a race sail but especially on a stout mast there's a lot of power up high so it's easy to heel the board over. On a true Raceboard (which the Kona isn't) I wouldn't be afraid to go up against multi-cammed sails because it points well enough and it turns, uphauls and even water starts way better than any racesail ever could. It does have a higher foot angle so it needs a lot of rake to close the slot.

I thought you all might like some info on masts such as it is - I've sailed it on a 520 Mauisails - the old design but it's the 75% mast so it's really CC not hardtop, and I was able this week to pick up a lightly used newer Mauisails 490 Race 100 also which is pure CC and a great stick. The sail sets fuller on the 520, and the pull is higher and further forward, with just slight looseness in the upper leech - really great for marginally powered, gusty situations. Easy to just set the downhaul and tune with n adjustable outhaul because the sail will really tell you if it's overdownhauled - just go 521 and forget it. It sits prettier on the 490 - easier to tune with downhaul and if you pull it to 523-4 it'll start to look like a more typical freerace design with the leech loose all the way down to the boom and a much flatter entry. I had to move the harness lines back a little for that mast. On the shorter, softer mast it has noticeably less power but handles higher winds more adroitly. I think I'm going to sail it mostly on the 520 and only pull the 490 out when I'm thinking seriously about rigging a 7.5 or 8.5 instead. I don't have any desire to try a skinny mast in it - at my weight I think it would get squirrely.

Joe W, from everything I've read in your excellent blog it sounds like you need one, but I do think it will overlap with that pretty 8.5 of yours - the 10 really handles power well for us heavyweights (I weigh 105kg). I've had it out in gusts to 21, which would be about when I feel happy on a 7.5. So the question would be how many days does your 8.5 leave you ALMOST planing where you sail? For me it's a lot of days, and in Florida I expect to use this 10.0 more than anything else. (In Massachusetts a 7.5 gets more use). As I'm sure you can tell I just love the thing and can't wait to try it on my other board.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

12 (edited by Nico 2018-07-14 21:42:00)

Mmm thanks for your impression, that becomes suggestion for me. Now I'm rigging my venetian Spf on a Fiberspar 7000 520/34 that seems to me more CC than the usual Fs-Np's (even from peterman.dk charts seen around). No leech looseness at all and pretty reactive sail in marginal wind; maybe a little tiring. I want to try it on 490/30, 100% carbon, by Tribord. Also for me and my 90 kgs no need to try a rdm mast.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

joe windsurfer wrote:

what did the first OP mean when he said "what a pisser" ??
the 10-oh SpeedFreaks are all with the single camber now or ??
none ever seem available - need to order one by one ??
GEM got me started with the proto SPF 8.5
still drool on the thought of an HSM SPF 10.0 !!!
here's my SPF... no 10-oh YET

<image>

the S on bottom batten is NOT always there ...

Hey Joe,
The big sails love the cam. No need for steady wind and actually lighter than the 7 batten version. Small sizes not really a big performance difference, but the 2 big sizes are so much better with the one cam- jut evens out the power band and eliminates the "dead" zone after a lull in the wind.
Still make 7 batten no cams by order....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Awalkspoiled wrote:

A little more feedback on my 10.0 now that I have a few days on it, all of them so far in New England on a Kona CarbOne with a 54cm fin (My pocket-formula board is down south).

It's crazy easy to sail, even overpowered it has great manners and sort of absorbs the gusts and feeds them into pull in small increments, so there's never a sudden surge of power just smooth acceleration. It doesn't point maybe quite as high as a race sail but especially on a stout mast there's a lot of power up high so it's easy to heel the board over. On a true Raceboard (which the Kona isn't) I wouldn't be afraid to go up against multi-cammed sails because it points well enough and it turns, uphauls and even water starts way better than any racesail ever could. It does have a higher foot angle so it needs a lot of rake to close the slot.

I thought you all might like some info on masts such as it is - I've sailed it on a 520 Mauisails - the old design but it's the 75% mast so it's really CC not hardtop, and I was able this week to pick up a lightly used newer Mauisails 490 Race 100 also which is pure CC and a great stick. The sail sets fuller on the 520, and the pull is higher and further forward, with just slight looseness in the upper leech - really great for marginally powered, gusty situations. Easy to just set the downhaul and tune with n adjustable outhaul because the sail will really tell you if it's overdownhauled - just go 521 and forget it. It sits prettier on the 490 - easier to tune with downhaul and if you pull it to 523-4 it'll start to look like a more typical freerace design with the leech loose all the way down to the boom and a much flatter entry. I had to move the harness lines back a little for that mast. On the shorter, softer mast it has noticeably less power but handles higher winds more adroitly. I think I'm going to sail it mostly on the 520 and only pull the 490 out when I'm thinking seriously about rigging a 7.5 or 8.5 instead. I don't have any desire to try a skinny mast in it - at my weight I think it would get squirrely.

Joe W, from everything I've read in your excellent blog it sounds like you need one, but I do think it will overlap with that pretty 8.5 of yours - the 10 really handles power well for us heavyweights (I weigh 105kg). I've had it out in gusts to 21, which would be about when I feel happy on a 7.5. So the question would be how many days does your 8.5 leave you ALMOST planing where you sail? For me it's a lot of days, and in Florida I expect to use this 10.0 more than anything else. (In Massachusetts a 7.5 gets more use). As I'm sure you can tell I just love the thing and can't wait to try it on my other board.

Awalkspoiled, thanks for the up to date report on your sail and different masts. Would love to see some photos if you have any friends who can shoot a pic or two!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

15 (edited by Nico 2018-07-18 11:42:33)

Hi Joe, if 8,5-10 can have some overlap then ask for a custom 10,5 or 11... I bet it is so light that it will be possible, maybe with a 520.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm eager to get some photos also, Jeff, but the last time I went out it was so freakin' rough that my chase boat was taking spray over the bows and they didn't dare take their cameras out. Speaking of rough, the SF10.0 will tolerate 25mph but I'm not strong enough to sail it aggressively in that kind of wind. I went out on what looked like (and was forecast as) a 14-18 kinda day and as soon as I was half a mile offshore (in offshore winds of course!) a squall came through and beat me up pretty good. The strength of the wind wasn't the issue so much as the fact that it was veering by 40° which made hooking in and committing to the harness a risky proposition. Still, the sail had very nice manners beating back upwind - never turned itself inside out, easy to sheet out (!) to reduce power and I sailed it back in with the daggerboard swept halfway  back, back foot in the front strap and hooked out. The skiff with a 25hp Evinrude which had followed me out had a tougher time getting home than I did. Won't get out on big water until late August now - the play I'm in opens this week so I'm landlocked for a bit...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Awalkspoiled wrote:

I'm eager to get some photos also, Jeff, but the last time I went out it was so freakin' rough that my chase boat was taking spray over the bows and they didn't dare take their cameras out. Speaking of rough, the SF10.0 will tolerate 25mph but I'm not strong enough to sail it aggressively in that kind of wind. I went out on what looked like (and was forecast as) a 14-18 kinda day and as soon as I was half a mile offshore (in offshore winds of course!) a squall came through and beat me up pretty good. The strength of the wind wasn't the issue so much as the fact that it was veering by 40° which made hooking in and committing to the harness a risky proposition. Still, the sail had very nice manners beating back upwind - never turned itself inside out, easy to sheet out (!) to reduce power and I sailed it back in with the daggerboard swept halfway  back, back foot in the front strap and hooked out. The skiff with a 25hp Evinrude which had followed me out had a tougher time getting home than I did. Won't get out on big water until late August now - the play I'm in opens this week so I'm landlocked for a bit...

Now ... just imagine how much better it would handle with a Flex top mast!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This in from Brad in PA:
"We love these sails! Sandy and I sailed the two 10m2 in gusty SE wind on Sat. The new mast (Ultra 490) shaped her sail perfecto! My mast is a bit too constant curve and I think that is why she's not rotating as well. These sails have very good low end and yet I got hit by gusts in the upper teens and was lovin it. The low weight is very very nice!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

10m in stock now.
https://www.hotsail.store/index.php/pro … 6-battens/

Thumbs up Thumbs down