Re: Mast list for Super freaks

thanks caleb, had no idea the hot rods are that soft top...they look like carbon pipes coming out of the bag-none of that sexy taper like some masts.  i will try my chinook 100% 460 in the 7.0 and see if any of the Revo sailors need a Sumo.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

252 (edited by calebchinookRD 2018-01-18 11:33:07)

If you have a C100 I would definitely try that on your SF. Should rig very well compared to Sumo - second only To HSM ULTRA or Kauli mast which are the best, I know Tom worked to get the curves very accurate on those so they are still top pick.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

253 (edited by paulf 2018-01-18 15:25:32)

i thought the gap between SF 8.0 and 7,0 was too close so i bought a SF 6,7.  Jeff said i would be fine with this rigged on a 460 at my weight(#215) so i bought the C100 460(locally) for the near identical curve numbers and 25 imcs vs 26 of the hot rod.  i like it on the 6,7 with some extra downhaul on my middle board.  will try the mast on 7.0 before i sell the 7.0.. thanks caleb.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

254 (edited by TwoFish 2018-04-06 05:21:31)

So, six months on, I've still not sorted myself a new flex-top  460 RDM for my SF 7.0. (Thank you by the way to all those who have contributed responses to my original question, or other useful responses).

Buying in the UK, there seem to be a limited number of potentially suitable (flex-top) options for 460 RDMs available, including:

• The Unifiber 460 RDM Evo 100 Flex-Top. Consensus seems to be that would be a reasonable option.

• Simmer RDM 8 / 10s; The Unifiber mast selector chart suggest they should match reasonably well, but 'Newfreakuser' reported a less-than-great experience.

• RRD RDMs. Again, the Unifber chart suggests a match, but I can find no other information on their bend curve or compatibility.

• Goya RDMs - Again, the chart suggests a match.

• Chinook RDM 460s . CalebChinookRD reported that despite being nominally Constant Curve, Chinook RDMs  "generally err on the flextop side". I'm wary of the CC designation though

Any more insights or experiences anyone? I'm leaning towards the Unifiber, though there are some reasonably priced RRDs around.

Obviously a Hot Rod would be the ideal, but there seems to be very limited availability in the UK and I am not sure I can justify the premium price for an occasional use mast.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

255 (edited by calebchinookRD 2018-04-06 06:43:31)

To be more technical the bend is 63/77 but can often measure 63/78 - 64/78. It rigs better on Goya, Simmer, Ezzy, HSM than North, Sailworks, Severne for example. Test rig one if you can. I believe the RRD is the same. Simmer should be good in theory as should Goya. A classic CC bend would be more like 64/76 which in my testing leave the draft a little too full up high & leach does not open progressively making the sail feel heavy & backhanded...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks CCRD. That's really helpful.

I'm a little surprised to see Ezzy in your "rigs better" list, as I thought they were 'Classic CC', and scored poorly in the 1 - 10 compatibility ratings earlier in this thread.

Also, when you say you believe the RRD is the same, is that the same as the "rigs better" list or the same as the 'less so' list? I wasn't quite clear.

Thanks again. Appreciated.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TwoFish wrote:

Thanks CCRD. That's really helpful.

I'm a little surprised to see Ezzy in your "rigs better" list, as I thought they were 'Classic CC', and scored poorly in the 1 - 10 compatibility ratings earlier in this thread.

Also, when you say you believe the RRD is the same, is that the same as the "rigs better" list or the same as the 'less so' list? I wasn't quite clear.

Thanks again. Appreciated.

Ezzy's have different bend depending on size but generally about 1pt closer to CC than the Chinook. The Ezzy sails have allot of seam shaping so they are fairly tolerant.(but also why I don't like them...)

I think the RRD mast uses the same bend as the Chinook & I believe is made in the same factory in Eastern Europe.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

5.9 MILLION VIEWS of this thread!!! HOLY COW!!!

Thumbs up Thumbs down