Topic: Exocet RS D2--new longboard

Check out this new longboard with wave piercing hull-- combination displacement and non-displacement. http://calema.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=632

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Exocet RS D2--new longboard

Interesting board. Tinho is a reviewer who's opinion I would make note of when it comes to longboard sailing. Wonder how much it weighs and costs?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes it's a very interesting board - I really like the concept, especially when you have tried slapping against waves going upwind with a flatbottomed race/longboard which is very tiring.

Personally I think it is a bit on the large side, as when you have the length you do not need that width, but it might influence that it was developed by a big guy (Patrice Belbeoch). Also in light winds the advantage of such a large dagger and fin will not be that benificial as it create drag at slower speeds - but anyway it would be a perfect match with a SpeedFreak big_smile

The key focus of this board is/should be to maximizing performance in light winds, where I think most will have switched to something smaller when the wind picks up - as like the conditions in the video below where it is also tested in higher winds where it also shows the consequences of going at speeds with such a long and large board (the bouncing up'n'down of the nose)

Apparently there are only going to be made 50 to begin with with a pricey price tag of 2900€ (aprox 3800 USD)....

You can read more about the RS D2 and similar designs here
http://www.lbwindsurfing.com/

And a video of it here

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ouch, that's a lot of money. And it does seem large with a tail that doesn't look smooth to jibe off a plane.
I should think that making it a bit smaller, non-carbon construction, with a little bit more of a rounded pintail would be quite the all-rounder. But at the price you've suggested, to me it's a non-starter.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would love to buy one of these, but unless I can see it race with another good race board like the F2 and leave it in the dust/waves it's just talk.  Bring one up to the North Easts to race against all comers and you might see these boards sell. If one could beat me and Dennis I would buy it on the spot. 4 to 12 knots.
$ 3,500+ is a lot to spend for an unproven board.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Personally I think it is a bit on the large side.

Thumbs up Thumbs down