Re: board length

http://www.surfingsports.com/bennett_fi … index.html

Here is the link for those pictures of your extremist wavesailing with a Superfreak. He called it the 9'8 fish but I think they are the same board.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes Eabmoto, the board in those pictures is your extremist. They called it extremist one year and the 9'8 by 30" fish another year. Pretty wild Superfreak sail. Also wondering if yours has footstraps and do you use them?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I had seen those pics before and I always liked the look and feel of a swallow tail so when I saw a used one for sale I was pretty excited.  While surfing that one in San Diego I actually found a brand new one, in a surf shop in Portland, that never sold so they had it on sale!  So now I have one in San Diego for vacation and I have one up in Seattle were I live.  I was only able to do that because I got two for the price of one new one.  Anyway, They do have foot strap inserts.  I don't really think I will use them.  I started all this with a surfing background and no windsurfing at all.  I feel most comfortable when I can move my feet around.  I may try them but wonder how the inserts would hold up to screwing and unscrewing them a lot?  They are a lot of fun to surf and to sail.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Right on, you scored with both of those swallow tails. Me too about surfing first then started windsurfing. The footstraps almost always seem in the way for the style of windsurfing/wavesailing that I usually do. I have them on my Kona One for use in the river and open ocean cruising. Can definitely see the necessity with formula, shortboard/low volume boards, freestyle etc, but for what I do, they are usually in the way. Even on the Kona 11'5 that I picked up this year, I took them off after a couple of sessions, liking to step around the deck frequently adjusting trim and all. Guess it's all what you are used to right? On the whopper, that's one of the things I love about that board, is the moving around the deck, adjusting to the constantly changing wave, but still having the surface  area/volume for heavy white water, and the rocker for steep drops. That board even works on white water river runs although that's too far away from here for me to get into. And you need to wear a helmet and all.....That's great you have the San Diego place for change in location from Seattle. A lot of forum posters from San Diego like these wind/SUPs. Some of those same folks have said that footstrap maintenance i.e. screwing/unscrewing can be time consuming, and sometimes, the inserts don't hold up. Like you said, you probably won't need them......

Thumbs up Thumbs down