Topic: Mistral Ventura 2009, some impressions

Here I'm, back from Denmark. On the road (almost on the road...) to north I've bought for a (very) good price (369 euro) a new 2009 Mistral Ventura, 343 cm, 72 cm wide, 255 litres of volume.
Shape is nice, even the board seems really BIG, more than my venetian Serenity, 460 cm but the same volume. Nose is somethin new, is thick and with fat rounded rails, but it hasn't a boat-shaped hull in the bow like AHD Tactick.
Rails are full, thick, and with sharp edge from stern to almost 3/4 of the lenght. Long eva pad  over the deck from tail up to over the mast track. White and clear colors, nice.
Construction seems very durable, it's told to be a reinforced sandwich, really it's not really heavy but really neither lightweight. Anyway i threw for a mistake the boom had over the side of the bow, but not an even little scratch remained!
Four good and nice straps with original screws already mounted and protected with small nice pipes, good. The daggerboard has a system to avoid slipping out but nothing is explained in the poor instructions booklet, so imagine the mr Keppler and all the staff trying to unlock it... Finally found a teeth to push with a flathead screwdriver to unlock all.
Classic Mistral Key to screw the powerbox fin in the proper usual little bowl on the tail, but as the board is so thick, the depht of the bowl is far more than on my old Mistral Echo so no to easyto turn the key...
The fin provided is a white no-name 34 cm, pheraphs good for beginners, I've immediatly switched to a seaweed 32/48 and then to a straight 50 cm. I'm in doubt if testi on it the large 66 with powerbox head.
Mast track: is NOT the same mounted on my 1996 Echo, that has the quick "powerjoint" system bu also the option of screwing a classic M8 mastfoot. The ventura has only the powejoint option, but is NOT compatible with older Mistral mastfoot of the Echo (with its nice and still perfect Bogie joint), but only with a Bic Joint with way thinner head. NO Joint is provided with the board, shop sells no really on sale (49 euro) a Bic Joint, but it's possible to adapt the older Mistral lower heads with a grinder making it thin like the Bic. Bic joint has a big problem, a large side wing to attach the uphaul rope (useless) that scratched the eva suface of the board some times, until I've understood the problem and cutted it away.
Mast track has a pedal system, also this not explained on the booklet, I think symilar to the one on the Starboard Rio, with numerous positions to choose, but not infinite stances as on Echo; not a big issue for me.
On the water, in the first day (Kegnaes) of very poor wind board seems to glide very well, yes not an emotional ride with 5-6 knots. In the second day with wind about 8-9 knots I was able to point high upwind and it really was an exciting trip- Board stability give a lot of serenity when travelling in an unknown see (Baltic sea a.k.a. Ostsee).
Third day wind was pheraphs good for planing with Score 112 and 8,0, average 12 knots but then up to 15, but the only way to go out meanwhile my girlfriend was visiting Valdemars Slot was an hidden corner of the beach of Troense, inside a little bay, so I needed the longboard to go upwind and reach the fiord, sail Superfreak 8,0.
With daggerboard down I rediscovered the pleasure of following upwind the sailing boats. Then in the fiord daggerboard up and planing! Board really planes, but to use the straps mounted down there in the stern I have had to push the track all back. Moving it when stopped and rig down in the water, I've to learn how to do when travelling.
Sensation is good, even if I feel that such a big board preferes a bigger sail with the same wind for planing, imho the 9,5 Stealth can switch the ride to something very special even with wind up to 15 knots or slightly more, board can handle it for sure.
P.s.: board is again on sale for 399 euro here http://cgi.ebay.de/mistral-Ventura-eins … 3a68b92928
<image>

Last edited by Nico (2011-07-31 11:25:46)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Mistral Ventura 2009, some impressions

I thought about this board before I got the Kona One. On the Ventura I'd install beating straps on the sides (at least for one foot). Have thought about doing it to the K1, but haven't done it yet. Another chore to take on when I've finished adding thrusters to my Kona 11'5....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Geoff wrote:

On the Ventura I'd install beating straps on the sides (at least for one foot). ....

If you mean the long and flat straps that can be seen on the sides some longboards like on the Phantom, I also be interested in buying them, but where to find these long straps?
Ventura has a lot of strap holes, I think also for this purpose, because the ones on hte side are position and wider than any strap insert pattern. I've ever seen. I'll take some photos

Thumbs up Thumbs down

live photo
<image>
and live mini video, as photo imho doesn't show the real dimensions

(audioswap by youtube)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, those holes closest to the rail are the ones (just in front of your forward footstraps). Looks like you can install a single strap on each side. That's all you'll need.

Ignore the holes closer to the centerline, those are for beginner's straps.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks a lot. They sell on ebay.de the same straps of my Ventura, but in a set o f four so I was thinking to use also the two left, total 8, but the result is a too crowded deck, no more room for my foot, hehehe. Better only two more, I agree.
See below photo(-shopped):
<image>

Thumbs up Thumbs down

NO, not the arrangement on the right. The holes for those "middle-back" straps don't go with the beating straps, they go with the front-front straps. They are the back foot strap setup for a pure beginner setup. Worthless, totally worthless.

The configuration on the left is correct. To use them, you'll be centerboard down, pointing as high as you can with still good VMG, railing the board onto the leeward rail and sheeting in tight. Looks to me (and my natural desire would be) that your forward foot is the one in the strap (but it might be the back and that somewhat depends on how far forward you adjust the mast track).

Once you try it, you'll discover that when you're well powered, the centerboard will tend to rail the windward side up out of the water so you'll kind of be regulating that with your legs. Meanwhile, you have to sheet in hard to stay close-hauled. The net effect is like doing a crunch - you're fine tuning the board with your feet while sheeting in with the harness by doing a crunch. VERY athletic mode of sailing. Combined with adjustable mast track (full forward to beat upwind, full back to reach/plane) and a wide planing surface, you've got a level of physicality that is most engaging and very technical. Dinghy racing on a longboard...

Last edited by Geoff (2011-08-17 16:38:16)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some other impressions after a long session on Resia Lake (Reschensee) last sunday with the Ventura and the Stealth 9,5.
First: what an hard work, I'm so tired still now. I've tried to apply all what I've learned (from you), so when wind was low, track almost all forward, daggerboard down, and somehow railing the board to go upwind. And upwind Ventura goes! So good that I can imagine how astonished were the sailor in that boat that I've always passed in front at every tack, a totally new sensation for a windsurf. The when the wind was picking up, quickly track all back and daggerboard up, and planing with my long war cruiser, kiters around terrified, hehehe. Planing was progressive but real and impressive, feet in the straps, good balance with my 50 cm fin.
The counterside of all this is that clearly the big and not so light Ventura requires a strong push from all rig components, and also from my poor body, for planing. Yes is not a pricey carbon board so lenght+width+weight are noticeable. So the strange trip-setup to avoid carrying the 520 mast (460/30+carbon 57 fixed ext+ alloy ext) that I've used with Serenity and Sting Ray in Venice with no problems, probably gave up at the end, as I've found the carbon extension slightly bent at the top (after hearing nasty sounds from it when sailing..). I've also had some concerns about the old camless stealth, I mean from sewings and panels. What about?
Surely it's a choiche, a longboard that also can plane has obviously lower gliding ability the Serenity, so more surface dragging and more strenght required; on the opposite Serenity cannot plane but if possible carrying around and then switching to a lighter planing board is a way easier for no more young body like mine... Toughts and doubts...
Some photos:

<image>

<image>

<image>

<image>

Last edited by Nico (2011-08-30 10:20:46)

Thumbs up Thumbs down