Topic: RRD Wassup, anyone tried?

Hi everybody,

has anyone tried allready the RRD Wassup Boards? Sailing and SUP?
Any info on Rockerline and Railshape (planer or surfer)?
Do you think the 8'5 is supable for a 90 kg intermediate SUP guy in choppy waves (the sealion seems not to)?

The Boards seem to be a new player on the field of WindSUPs.

Alex

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: RRD Wassup, anyone tried?

I am around 190-195 pounds - roughly 86-88 kg and I have SUPed the 8'5.  I was previously on a 9'6 Coreban Performer, and before that on an 11'3 Amundson Aquaglide.  The 8'5 is surprisingly easy to paddle, balance on when not paddling, and catch waves with, much better than I expected based on my previous attempt on an 8'6 from another brand.  On a wave it felt significantly smaller and turnier than the 9'6 Performer - I felt as big a jump in performance between the 8'5 and the 9'6 as I originally felt between the 9'6 and the 11'3.  I haven't had an opportunity to sail it yet.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mine just showed up.  So far, I've paddled it in flatwater and sailed it underpowered on  a 6.3, also flatwater.  So far, so good.  Hopefully, I'll have some wave experience to share by next week.  I'm planning on a San Onofre trip this weekend, so I may get the chance to sail, paddle or both!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi guys, thanx for your feedback.
To eghoffmann:
Can you give me your weight also? Did you have the chance to get the board planning? Where other windsurfers around to have a compariosn regarding planning capability?
I'm still curious about the planning abillitiy of standard tail shaped boards vs. the step tails of Konas and Tabous.

Alex

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have since sailed this board once.  It plains a lot easier than my Aquaglide, but I felt uncomfortable at speed without footstraps.  It can do a planing jibe, but it is not as easy as my regular board.  I have never sailed a Kona, so can't compare.

Sailing it in the waves was a blast.  Super loose on the wave face.  Great bottom turns and top turns.  I had a couple of times where I generated so much speed I inadvertantly got an aerial, which without footstraps I was unable to land.

I can tack it so easily that I was tacking it at the last minute to catch waves. 

I am thinking abut trying it with footstraps, but for SUPing the footstraps get in the way, and I don't like having to put on/take off footstraps every time I change between sailing and SUPing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm about 165.  I got it planing briefly on flatwater in about 10 or 11 mph with a 6.3 SF.  Everyone else had already called it a day by that point.  I still haven't had a chance to sail it in the waves (not much wind in San Diego in May!), but have paddled it.  It was a bit less stable than I was hoping for - there's definitely a big difference between this and my 9'8

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How i try to used RRD Wassup?

Thumbs up Thumbs down