Topic: Disrespect of SUP surfing etiquette

Super fun surfing these days in Maui.

After a first couple of fantastic regular surfing sessions I had to switch to standup (much easier on my back). Still heaps of fun, but one thing has been bugging me though. About 80% of the pack of standup surfers (that now outnumber the regular ones in some breaks) is absolutely unrespectful of the etiquette and hog the waves leaving little chance to regular surfers to have their share of fun.

I thought about having made custom lycra shirts to wear when to go SUP surfing. On the back:
"Regular surfers can drop in on me (as long as it's safe)"
On the front:
"I'm not going to take advantage of my unfair advantage in catching waves"
or, if that is too long:
"Unfair advantages bug me".

That would give a strong message to the other standup surfers, don't you think?

Please post a comment here or on my blog http://mauisurfreport.blogspot.com/2008 … rd_16.html if you have ideas for other sentences or if you want to join the initiative and share the cost of it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Disrespect of SUP surfing etiquette

Is it possible that a lot of sup'ers in the water have never surfed before?  It seems this new wave riding board has gotten a lot of people in the water were there was already too many people to begin with.  I don't know how you could educate people about the rules that surfers have lived by forever in a short time, but I hope something can be done.  The ocean is so big, it's a shame we can't spread out a little and share the good times.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You have a paddle with a long steel....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've created a new website that I'm granting free rights to anyone that wants to use it. The site is http://SUPright.com and there's a preliminary set of "rules" up for discussion. It will have a community-generated set of "rules" that SUP surfers should follow. the idea is to give surf shops, schools, manufacturers, bloggers, and anyone else an easy way to give newbies information about proper etiquette expected from them in the water. That's all that's going to be there. There will be printable versions that shops, etc. can put their own logo on, and formats and designs for stickers that can also have a company logo placed on them in addition to the supright URL.

I saw the same thing GP did, and was similarly embarrassed. This is the best thing I could come up with to try to help with the problem. Might work. worth a try.

Thumbs up Thumbs down