Topic: downhaul block replacement

so today the crossbar on the 3 pulley downhaul block on my 8.0 sf classic exploded fortunately while rigging...oddly enough just moments after i wondered why the webbing should be stained with rust if the part is supposed to be stainless(chinese stainless?). how do i get replacement? you should consider making a repair part with a thumbscrew crossbar so i would' have to find sail repair to sew the new back in..thanks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: downhaul block replacement

Sorry to hear of that failure. I've not heard of it before, but everything fails and I guess when it does somebody has to be the unlucky guy.

I would email Jeff directly for the quickest response.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

heard from jeff and self replaceable block is on the way.  good thinking as it would seem a shame  to take down perfectly good webbing to get this part in place.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I had this on my freak some years ago. Solved it with an Ezzy downhail block that I could easily buy in Holland.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

so the repair is a much nicer triple block than prior with a stainless machine screw and nylon locknut. i'm concerned, probably unnecessarily so if jeff has been sending this out, about the screw threads chewing up the webbing. so i purchased an aluminum tube sold as a spacer that perfectly fits over the screw. internet says galvanism might eat up the tube but won't hurt the screw.  tell me if anyone knows otherwise. a more elegant fix would be a smooth stainless thumbscrew but would require a threaded hole in the sidewall that might drive up cost.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just went into production of the new removable tack pulley on most of the 2019 sails and I left the threads in place for a reason. The threads keep the webbing from "creeping" into one side of the axle if the pull is off center. There is not wear from the threads as there is no side movement across them. The new UHMPE tack webbing which is much thinner and lighter than the old black Polyester webbing which was very stiff and would not allow any sliding movement.

Thumbs up Thumbs down