Topic: adding mast insert to SUP

Can anyone provide a brief summary on what's involved in adding a windsurfing rig insert to a SUP board?
Would adding a simple insert rather than a mast track be easier?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: adding mast insert to SUP

There are a few things to consider
- It is cheaper with a 8mm plug - but if you need to trim use a track - as far as I'm told for both solutions you need to bond it to the bottom and probably use some hi-density foam... ( the more proficient in shaping/board building needs to chime in wink )
- board construction - e.g. I have been adviced againt it on my Naish due to the wooden deck, because if that get wet due to a crack or hole it will demand a larger restoration
- usage of the board - if it is for flat water - go ahead - but if it is for waves it must be done right and sturdy as the forces is larger than on a windsurf board due to the size and width
But it have been done with succes several times - check also standupzone.com

Good luck with the project

And when it all comes together it is good fun smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

On a side note - in that little clip 2 of the 3 boards have factory fitted mastfittings - The white one have a custom added track
Bonus info: that white board mysterical disapeared from the racks of a moving car never to be seen again....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've not done a mast track insert, but I've done everything else so I'll offer some suggestions.

1) Surfingsen is right - it must be very solid.
2) You want a reasonably long track, since a priori you don't know the optimal spot for the base.
3) ABSOLUTELY you want to anchor the mast track in high-density divinicell that is solidly glassed to the deck. I wouldn't be that worried about Surfingsen's fears about wooden deck, but that's a separate matter. Wood is really easy to work with, especially if you're not wanting a natural wood "look".
4) I'm not sure I'd glass it to the bottom, probably not, but I'd look on the Boardlady site to see if she has some advice.

So this is a complicated job, I wouldn't recommend it unless you've got some fiberglass experience.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Surfingsen wrote:

There are a few things to consider
- It is cheaper with a 8mm plug - but if you need to trim use a track - as far as I'm told for both solutions you need to bond it to the bottom and probably use some hi-density foam... ( the more proficient in shaping/board building needs to chime in wink )
- board construction - e.g. I have been adviced againt it on my Naish due to the wooden deck, because if that get wet due to a crack or hole it will demand a larger restoration
- usage of the board - if it is for flat water - go ahead - but if it is for waves it must be done right and sturdy as the forces is larger than on a windsurf board due to the size and width
But it have been done with succes several times - check also standupzone.com

Good luck with the project

Hei, I know where to get a mast track but where does one get the 8mm plug?  It might be simpler option for just cruising a bit around ...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Try this (scroll to bottom of section in the link). Note the brass threading in footstrap inserts, I think this will fit a screw-on base. I still would advise using an 8" or 10" box, imbedding it in Divinycell, using a router to hollow out the spot for the mastbox/Divinycell assembly, and then glassing the whole thing to the deck. If well glassed to a strong deck, I don't think I'd attempt to glass the top to the bottom. This will create a spot-weld and as the board flexes (longboards flex a lot), it'll alter the bending characteristics. You're not wanting this for a blasting / planing mode, but more for surf sailing with a small rig. If you use thus and keep the rig from imbedding the tip in the sea bottom where a wave would drive it down, I doubt you'll have any durability problems.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product … ilcom.html

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A good resource for board related repairs and modifications is http://www.boardlady.com/
She has some great instructions with photos for all sorts of windsurf board and surfboard repairs.  I prefer the idea of the mast track in a divinycell sandwich for added strength.  And then cap the box and deck area with a couple patches of 6 oz to spread the load.  I think it would be a bit stronger and give you some flexibility with mast base position. 
I have seen some SUP's with a single point threaded insert - I assume that these are similar to the chinook plastic footstrap plugs  but maybe larger.  I think that they would definately need some dyvinicell sandwich around them since lightweight eps isnt very strong and once its crushed it will rot real fast.
Good luck -- that sounds like a great project for a SUP.
Yoyo

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ding repair guy should be able to do it for around $100

Thumbs up Thumbs down

yoyo wrote:

A good resource for board related repairs and modifications is http://www.boardlady.com/

Agreed. I don't recall off the top of my head if she has instructions for a mast track (likely), but if not she does have instructions for converting single fin to twin fin (or vice versa, I don't recall exactly), and that set will provide illustration for all you need to know about how to do assemble/place the Divinycell-track insert and glass it over. Easy part about the mast track is that fore-aft axis is really your only alignment concern, in comparison to a fin box where you really do need to line it up perfectly.

Also, for those who've not done much work with fiberglass/epoxy, WEST System has some very good manuals on how to do a variety of repairs / constructions. You pay extra for their materials and dispenser pumps, but I would say that for beginners working in epoxy they have done a lot of effort to help guide the user to a good end result. For a mast track, the biggest concern is enough layers of glass connecting the insert to the deck, grinding down to bevel the layers of (existing) deck in order to get good adherence between the insert and deck, and in getting out the lakes/voids in the layup (which dramatically reduce structural integrity). On a board deck, you don't need a vacuum system to do that, but you do need to squeegee the layup once it's in place.

Yoyo is right, 2 layers is probably enough, but myself I'd use 3-4 layers of gradually smaller pieces (biggest piece goes on the bottom). The incremental weight from 2 more layers is trivial, but if it's not robust enough and breaks the PITA factor is huge. Plus...OK, the truth is that I have a way of shredding windsurfing gear, so I tend to err on the side of making it STRONG!

Converting an SUP into a sailable SUP is an excellent project for those wanting to learn how to fix their own stuff. A good winter project...

Good luck!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Geoff wrote:

Try this (scroll to bottom of section in the link). Note the brass threading in footstrap inserts, I think this will fit a screw-on base. I still would advise using an 8" or 10" box, imbedding it in Divinycell, using a router to hollow out the spot for the mastbox/Divinycell assembly, and then glassing the whole thing to the deck. If well glassed to a strong deck, I don't think I'd attempt to glass the top to the bottom. This will create a spot-weld and as the board flexes (longboards flex a lot), it'll alter the bending characteristics. You're not wanting this for a blasting / planing mode, but more for surf sailing with a small rig. If you use thus and keep the rig from imbedding the tip in the sea bottom where a wave would drive it down, I doubt you'll have any durability problems.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product … ilcom.html

Thank you, I still have some footstrap insert already embedded in Divinycell (a residue from my windsurfing building days) and I'll check if those fit ... although ... I am afraid I splurged and I just bought an Amundson 11' that comes with the mast plug so there goes my winter project.  Probably for the best, even if I will use the windsurf option only for light wind freestyle, a standard SUP might not have enough longitudinal reinforcement for a rig ...

Last edited by davide (2012-12-28 06:29:06)

Thumbs up Thumbs down