Topic: Exocet wind sup

Online I recently came upon a promising new longboard/sup, it's the Exocet windsup 360cm x 79cm.
It has a retractable daggerboard, a step tail like the Kona One, albeit smaller and 220 litres of volume.
I've always been intrigued by the Kona One but wished it was a tad wider. Also on my list, the SUPer 12'6" but not sold on its planing prowess.
This is what I've been waiting for, a good light wind cruiser with decent standup capabilities and also capable of planing. For me, this may be the combination I've been seeking. I may take the plunge!
Check it out.  http://www.exocet-original.com/wind-sup118.php

Curious what others think.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Exocet wind sup

Interesting. I think a longboard and a K1 would be better, but if one must have a one-board solution this might work.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Looks great to me - much better SUP than K1, but how much worse in windsurf mode?  I think the king of crossovers to date has been the Starboard SUPer 12'6" (although RRD Cruiser 12 looks good too, though not for waves), but it is not great on a plane, I have heard.  I have the original Pacifico, which is good on a plane, but not surfy (and no daggerboard).  The WindSup is somewhere in between?

If I didn't have a longboard, or Pacifico, it's the board I would look at.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have been looking at this board too. (Checkout best longboard/sup that can plane thread). I have owned the Kona and had the same consensus, wishing it was a bit wider. I have also owned the SUPer, and it can be fun but good luck ever planing on it. I just sold both of these boards last month with anticipation of the windsup.
The windsup has a powerbox so you can mess around with long fins. I contacted Exocet and Steve Gottlieb replied saying that it will sail much like the Kona with more stability. It will be available late Dec. or January. AST - $1599US and bamboo $1999US.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I believe it has the same daggerboard system as the K1. With use of a lubricant does the K1's loosen up and work smoothly?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Haven't really tried a lubricant, but I suspect it would help. The cause of resistance is friction between the gasket and the centerboard. I just figure that the gasket will wear a bit and it'll get easier with time. I suppose it might help to lubricate it until then...

Last edited by Geoff (2011-10-08 13:02:50)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, has anyone tried the WindSUP yet?

If so, what did you think?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm told they are on the way, should be here in a few weeks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Would like to demo one of these. On another note, we were on a cruise recently and ported in St Lucia where we rode bus to The Reef windsurf/kite (search it out, pretty cool place)  I rode this Amundson SUP that had a full mast track, which my 11'3 Amundson does not (mine has bolt for mast foot which works fine). Anyway, this board worked great, it was either 11'3 or 11'6. I was really moving fast-definitely planing- with only the fin in the water. Conditions were choppy with about upper teens mph and a 5.7 North Natural sail. Continue to be very impressed with Amundson's boards as SUP/windsurf crossovers....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There are a couple of recent posts on iwindsurf--eastern US subheading--about the Exocet wind SUP 11'8. Very favorable impressions...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Got one. I bought the bamboo, beautiful board. I have SUPed it and it is much more stable than the Kona1 and tracks great.

Will post reviews as I get a chance to sail it.......................

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great, looking forward to your reviews, although I think I'm already sold on trading my Kona One in for the WindSUP. The only questions I have to answer are will the 11'8 fit in my car (the K1 does with at least 3 inches to spare), and what are the dimensions of the smaller WindSUP version Exocet may introduce in 2013. Apparently they are doing so well with this board that they are making a smaller one, too....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I had the Kona 1 and the starboard 12'6" Super. I am a big guy (240lbs) and I found the Kona a bit unstable in lighter winds and the SB would never get up on plane and felt like I was towing a brick around. I had the Windsup back out paddling on another NO wind day and although there is only one more inch in width over the SB, what a difference. I was all over the board and didn't go in once...........I have an 8.5 Speedfreak coming for it, can't wait!!!!!!

Last edited by iamvwman (2012-06-03 07:05:12)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I surf sailed my buddy's Fanatic Fly 10'6" at Hilton Head Island in light winds a few weeks ago, and really liked it. Very maneuverable, once gliding it has a lively and maneuverable feel, climbs over the shore break easily....it's nice. At 75 kg, I don't think I'd want one bigger than that, but larger sailors might like the bigger sizes.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would love to see a slightly smaller version of the WindSUP for my 155 lbs.

Take about 6-8" off the length and then thin it down so it's about 180 liters.

As is tho, it's at the top of the pile of boards I need/want  :-)

Drew

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Try the Fanatic Fly. You'll like it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Drew, I''m waiting to hear from Sandy Point Sports in Daytona Beach about the smaller version of the WindSUP planned for the future. I'll post the info when I get it.

Geoff,  I like that 10'6 Fly too. I rented one at the Fanatic Boarders Center in St Martin. Nice place to windsurf with a long reaching bay and a reef break in the middle...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh yeah Geoff, wanted to mention more evidence supporting your approx. 180 liter sweet spot theory for riders of our weight range. First of course, this 10'6 Fanatic Fly.  Also, that other board I mentioned before, the 2008 11'3 Amundson with the full mast track--it was 180 liters. That board rode great. I've exchanged some emails with John Amundson about this board because the stock 11'3 is 160 liters and has the threaded insert for a mast foot, rather than the full mast track. I have the 160 liter and I like it, but that 180 liter planed better. He can custom it, but $$$. Some other folks have posted very positively about this particular board. I was as impressed with it as I am with my K 11'5.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

love my 10.5 in waves....check out....

place 'big left beat' into google and watch youtube.
cheers Mattt

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Todd

If Amundsen won't put in a mast track, do it yourself. All you need is a little divinicell, a track, and some glass/epoxy. You'll need a small router to cut the hole. Because the only alignment that is critical is the fore-aft (unlike fin-boxes that must be perfectly placed), this is an easy modification.

Just as a comment for grins...

A local Brit chick sailor was out yesterday on her Fanatic Ultra Cat (original model, not the Jungle edition). It's in immaculate condition. She sailed great. Loves the board. All she needs for it is a Freak!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Geoff / Todd -

The Fly 10'6" looks like a really good board for me...   I'm 155 lbs and my waveriding would all be here in the great lakes.  Looks like a good SUP/wave board for the GLakes as well.

I would like to have at least a little centerboard, but aside from that it looks like the Fly might be the perfect board for SUP waveriding & windsurfing in the mushy Lake Michigan "surf".

The WindSUP and Carve boards are quite a bit more $$$...  enough to put them out of reach.

Any reason not to grab one?

Drew

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You don't need a CB, really, unless you plan to course race.

Sailsurfing, SUP, and light wind messing around....the Fly is en excellent choice. The only thing you lose without the CB is the ability to beat upwind like a Laser / other daysailer. The Fly has lots of width in the tail and picks up mushy waves quite well. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

G'day Drew,

I'm 154 pounds and have both the 2009 Starboard Drive 10'5" and the 2011 FLY 10'0". They get shared amongst myself, my wife, my daughter and my son for paddling. My son and I both surf and windsurf on them. Windsurfing would be in anything from 7-14 knots, couple of feet surf.

I haven't tried the FLY 10'6", but the FLY 10'0" really is an excellent board. It surfs as though it is at least a foot shorter than the SBoard 10'5" - it is lighter and much looser. It does have a lot more rocker than the SBoard. It's pretty easy to paddle distances as well in not too much chop, but doesn't track nearly as well as the SBoard. Paddling it in anything over 8-10 knots cross-wind it gets squirrely - apart from the rocker also I think a lot because of the lighter weight compared to the SBoard.

With a sail on the FLY 10'0" - 5.3 Bolt or 5.5 SF - again it surf sails a lot better than the SBoard 10'5". It is much quicker rail-to-rail.

I also tried a 2009/2010 FLY 9'6"x30" - the one that had the swallow tail. It sailed really nicely with 4.7 and 5.3, was very easy to move around without needing to move your feet, as long as you had your back foot over your fins and bent your knees more throughout a turn. It was on vacation and no HOT sails unfortunately. Didn't get to paddle it.

At your weight, if you can, have a go on the FLY 10'0" because you don't want to go too big on these things - they can get unmanageable when the waves start to pick up and they get a bit long to quickly tack when you want to catch a wave (when sailing them). I don't think you need the volume so much, but I do think the width of 30" is nice, plus would suggest get one with a nice surfboard rocker.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Drew--yes you can save a bunch with the Fly instead of the Carve/WindSUP. The Fly is a much better SUP than the Carve. The step tail that the Carve and WindSUP have is most definitely a performance changer when they get up on the plane. But, you will have a great time with the Fly. It SUPs and windsurfs waves  very well and goes plenty fast on the reach. You might need a longer fin than the stock when you windsurf. I totally agree with NC's suggestion to go smaller if you can. I'm 180 lbs and the 10'6 was good. At your 155, I would bet the 10 ' would be good....

Geoff, thanks for the suggestion about the mast track. Although I must say, I'm not using the Amundson as much since I got this K 11'5...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Todd - 

From your video (big left beat) I'm guessing you're sailing in saltwater?  I've always gone by a 15% difference between salty and sweet.  That's pretty much the difference between the 10 and 10'6 so I think the 10'6 should be good.  And I want a decent amount of waterline to help make up for the lack of centerboard.

The 180 liter 10'6" should be a good match with my old Evo 92 and even older F2 80 liter.  And of course the Freaks  :-)

Drew

Thumbs up Thumbs down