Topic: Starboard Whopper for SUP and sail

I've paddled this board a few times and have decided to order one for SUP'ng in waves, but I was wondering if any of you have windsurfed one on a wave or in powered conditions? Results? I've windsurfed a Naish 10'6 and had a total blast in 20 knots with a 5.6 carving and slashing strapless. I'm hoping the Whopper will be as fun.

Thanks,

Chris

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Starboard Whopper for SUP and sail

Do you have any experiences to report yet?  I briefly had a Whopper, but I found that, in the marginal conditions I bought to sail it in, I was always struggling to get into a wave.  I think that the width makes it a bit too much work to sail.  For that matter, I felt like I had an anchor on while paddling it, too.

I'm on a 9'8" Element now.  It's not a speed demon by any means, but it's easier to get moving than the Whopper was.  I can't imagine either of them really being very easy to ride like a shortboard, but we don't get 20 knots down here in San Diego very often anyway!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm still waiting for my board to arrive. I'll post when I get some sailing time on it in the waves. Like I wrote previously, the Naish 10'6" worked great for planing around and having fun in swell. Hopefully the *board will too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've had 3 surf sessions (3'-5') and one WS ( 3' - mast high surf with a 5.3 Fire). Compared to the Naish 10'6", the Whopper is not as fun to WS on in powered conditions. It feels draggy and unresponsive, which is strange since it SUPs on a wave so well. I may just need to spend more time WSng in waves to get a better feel for the Whopper, but I'm stoked with its SUP-surfing ability. It does need to be positioned a bit more on the steeper part of the wave to drop in when paddling or sailing compared to some of the other SUPs I've tried, but I'm getting used to it. I'm betting playing with fin size could make it much better for WSng as well, as the the main fin is tiny and the side biters create a ton of drag. So far so good generally though! One caveat though, this board has a TON of leverage over you and is a beast if tossed at you in a fall from a breaking wave. My wife and I were tandem riding this board in smaller surf and she caught the board in the forehead when it flipped over in the whitewater. Ouch.

Last edited by can555 (2009-11-26 08:51:42)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

hey eghoffman
do you use straps on the element. thinking of one for sup and ws, i,m 77kg so thinl volume is right. can you give more feedbak? sorry to hijack the thread can555

Thumbs up Thumbs down

no, i don't use straps.  it's not a board for really "throwing" around - much more longboard style.  i used to use a single back strap on an old board for carrying.  i assumed that i would use it to stay attached when going out through the break, but i never really needed it.  we're about the same weight, so i think it should float you fine.  if you want to visit san diego, you can try mine!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

thanks, love to come to socal but summer finally hit sth island new zealand and second baby due any day so guess im staying put for the time being.

Thumbs up Thumbs down