Topic: Ultralight with ultralight

While the west coast of Sweden went off completely last friday I was stuck on the island Gotland where the wind didn't really hit. We got some VERY light winds which normally don't generate waves, but some knee high white water led me to to rig an SF ultralight 5.5 and make the best of it. I tend to like other sails better in the mid sizes, but maybe this is only something I'm fooling myself into believing since this season the 5.5 UL has been  GEM in both good stuff and bad stuff.

Anyway, here are some pics of the sub planing sailing, in small, slow waves. But hey: at least it was sideshore and I had an awesome board to make the best of it (Quad 76)

<image>

<image>

<image>

<image>
<image>

<image>
<image>

<image>
<image>

<image>
<image>

<image>

Last edited by Ola H. (2009-08-06 04:22:36)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Ultralight with ultralight

Nice shots, looks like fun. How are you liking the Quad? Interesting fin setup there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Which board is that with all this fins?

Last edited by YZ (2009-08-06 21:04:43)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

when are you going to bring that to maui and sell me that too? wink

what's your take about this review: http://www.boardseekermag.com/wnews/show/1/2034 ?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That review coincides with my own experience. The ability to generate and keep speed in the bottom turn as well as super secure but still loose bottom turn, even through white water, is what stands out on the wave. And super good upwind is what stands out off the wave. Personally I think sliding is more often a bad looking error than a feature and that many people on twin fins spend to much time doing it. But still, I think it's not hard to do it on the quads either. A little twist of the hip only, like on a good grippy single fin board. But maybe people have forgotten about this technique after spending to much time on twinsers.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

very nice  pics Ola!   It shows perfectly the beauty of a light wind,have fun in de waves day...
(my parents in law are working on a new house at Melbystrand/halmstad ;-) )

If I look at that last pic, it seems that the  total of surface of the fins together is a lot(maybe just optical illusion)... especially on a small board like a 76.  Did you use this setup also allready in strong winds?

hey-do

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, there's a lot of fin on it, but it doesn't really feel that way when sailing. You have the grip and upwind, but not the stiffness you get with a big single fin (or even a comparable thruster setup, I used 2*13.5+15 on a similar board and that actually felt stiffer). I've used this exact setuo (2*15 front and 2*12 rear) with powered up 4.2 and it works just fine. I'm waiting for smaller fins to though. Not because I've felt I need it so far, but because it will be fun to see what it doesn to the feel of the board.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sounds interesting, just might have to try one out!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ola, what would you say, for a wave beginner  - would it be good to ride two fins board or it has to be only one fin board?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

One, two three or four: I don't think it's such a big issue. If you have the basics (upwind, getting around in the waves etc) wired I think  twin fin board can actually be a good idea for a wave beginner. They are generally loose and forgiving of mistakes.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ola, you must be at the lightweight end of things to make good use of the 76 quad in such light conditions?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes, for sure. 72 kilos (159 ibs).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Weight AND skill.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

weight and SKILL for sure!

Question: Are two of the fins asymmetrically foiled as is often the case with tri-fins or are they all symmetrical?

Mike

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Go to the boardseeker link above and click on the Quad ad. All kinds of video, photos, specs on the board.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mike Colee wrote:

weight and SKILL for sure!

Question: Are two of the fins asymmetrically foiled as is often the case with tri-fins or are they all symmetrical?

Mike

All four fins are symmetrical. In front there are 16 (15 on the 76) cm G10 fins, VERY flexy, but otherwise with your sort of standard twinfin shape/profile. These sit in a mintuttle box, ie screw in from the top like a powerbox fin and mount very quickly. The installation is also much lighter than a US box installation.

In the rear you have 11 (12 on the 76) symmetrical fsc fins, looking at a typical center surf fin would give you an idea. These sit in a box called Surfinz, which allow 8mm back and forth adjustment.

Smaller front fins (13 and 11) will be coming as aftermarket items. I haven't felt the need for smaller fins yet, but this will be interesting to try out what they appear..

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks Ola,

Seems like a lot of lifting fin area but this would tempered by the minimal leverage provided by such small fins which must keep the moment of force managable???

I hope to try one out some time. Thanks for your report.

Mike

Thumbs up Thumbs down