Topic: Kona Mini Tanker

I am wondering if there are Mini Tanker owners out there who have any experiences and /or conclusions to share about that board.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Kona Mini Tanker

Assuming that this is for sailing more than surfing have you considered one of the big shortboards - i.e., Starboard 122 Kode or and older Aero or an Exocet Cross?  Are you replacing your 9'8"?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sorry i never replied to your question in the thread. Kind of lost track of it. I wound up buying a minitanker, without testing it first. It isn't to replace my 9'8 but to fill a gap in my quiver, which is a 120-135liter light air wave type board that can also be ridden powered up on an 8.0 in flat water.  In waves I would use a 6.9 Ezzy wave with it, sometimes a 6.3. Powered up 6.3 and below I can go down to my JP 91liter RWW.

Since I have the Minitanker I still haven't spent enough TOW to decide if I like it or not. Initially I was very put off by the way step tail affected the handling in jibes. I feel its different than most other boards and requires a deliberate change in ingrained habits to master. I am still waiting for the proper conditions to try it out now that I think I  have it better dialed in.  In case I decide I still don't like it I will be looking for a replacement, and the boards mentioned above would probably be where I would look. I recently heard that RRD is coming out with some new boards in this range. Then there is the Real Wind 135 or the HiFly 135 twinfin, which I had and now wish I hadn't sold.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have a basically brand new Aero 117 if you're interested in trying it.  The winds are so light down here in SD that my 9'8" Element has become my "go to" board & the Aero just collects dust.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Surely sometimes the conditions in SD are good enough for a short board. Would you give up shortboarding altogether? I would love to try the Aero sometime, but I'm still hoping I can warm up to the Minitanker if I get some good days on it. In an other forum I saw a prototype of a new RRD SUP that is 8'5" and comes with straps, sounds like another potential candidate. Although I am now convinced that sailable SUP's are not substitutes for light air planeing boards. If they were I would just use my 9'8".

Here is how I break it down:  0-10mph  wind and waves=SUP+paddle
                                          10-15mph wind and waves=SUP+6.3sail
                                          15-18mph wind and waves=120l  board+6.9 or 6.3sail
                                          15-18mph wind  NO waves=120l  board+8.0 or 6.9sail
                                          18-25mph wind=91l board and appropriate sail
                                          25+mph    wind=85l board

This of course is for ocean sailing in SoCal. My Gorge quiver is appropriate for the conditions there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's pretty rare to get a short board day.  I've also got an Evo 80 (never used) that I'm planning on getting rid of.  I'll consolidate 2 boards into one - probably pick up something in the 90 to 95 liter range.  That new Quad looks pretty cool!

Most days, I can just take the Element to the beach with a 5.8 and a paddle and just decide on the spot which one looks better.  So, I'm basically:

0 - 15    Element
15+       I'll let you know when it happens!

That new Hero looks interesting, too.  I briefly had a Whopper this summer and, although I appreciated the stability, I would paddle and paddle and paddle and still miss waves - just too much work to get it up to speed.

I'm headed down to surf Shipwrecks for the weekend.  There was so much wind forecast that I was thinking that I would have to bring the Evo, too, but they just cut back the forecast.  Now I feel comfortable just sticking with my Element one board quiver!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Don't sell the Aero before letting me know. I would be interested in principle, as an alternative to the MT.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

hey laszlo -

i sent you an email, but never heard back.  did you change your email address?  sorry to say, but i got a good offer and sold my aero.  i got a deal on a quad which showed up last week, so i've got an '06 evo 80 for sale if you're interested.  want to pop down here one of these days & do a day to raul's?  bring  a paddle and a sail and see what the conditions dictate?  when i went in november, my friends and i were the only ones in the water.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Good for you that you sold your board. I am still giving the Minitanker some more time, and each time I get to use it I wind up liking it better. Some boards feel totally dialed in when you first get on them and some take longer, I guess. My email hasn't changed. The next time I get a chance to go to San Diego I'll bring all my toys.

Thumbs up Thumbs down