1 (edited by Jeroensurf 2008-11-21 22:31:33)

Topic: Freaky weather

Cammar please read this: wink
We sailed today at IJmuiden from 8.30 till 14.30 in 5-9degrees and a solid 9 with gusts of 12 beaufort!!

<image>

explanation meters per second vs Beaufort::
meters per second scale of Beaufort    
0 - 0.2 m/s                 0    
0.3 - 1.5 m/s                 1    
1.6 - 3.3 m/s                 2    
3.4 - 5.4 m/s                 3
5.5 - 7.9 m/s                 4     
8.0 - 10.7 m/s                 5
10.8 - 13.8 m/s                 6    
13.9 - 17.1 m/s                 7    
17.2 - 20.7 m/s                 8    
20.8 - 24.4 m/s                 9    
24.5 - 28.4 m/s            10    
28.5 - 32.6 m/s                11    
32.7 - plus m/s                12    

Waves of 5-6m in the back, small ones in the front.
For me it was the first time i really appriciated a Freak 3.7 in this case smile
Some pics:
<image>

<image>

<image>

<image>

<image>
<image>

<image>

<image>

<image>

<image>

<image>
<image>

<image>

<image>

<image>

So in the end, even an Anti Freakamentalist sees the benefits of this sail,its just a case of finding the right conditions for it big_smile
Anyway i think the Banzaii flag and mindset was suiting the conditions pretty well smile.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Freaky weather

Cool. The temperature alone makes this type of sailing rather rough.  And true, you need a bit of banzai mindset to go out and enjoy it.

We had a few of these super windy days lately too. A superfreak makes it a bit easier, for sure.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ola H. wrote:

Cool. The temperature alone makes this type of sailing rather rough.  And true, you need a bit of banzai mindset to go out and enjoy it.

We had a few of these super windy days lately too. A superfreak makes it a bit easier, for sure.

I'll drink to that, dood!!!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Incredible!!!  That was a true victory at sea!  Thanks for sharing!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

5 (edited by davide 2008-11-23 14:55:41)

Scary!!!!!!!!   Only time I was out in solid force 9 going to 10 was on a sailboat in Corsica, at Bonifacio Strait, and it was very taxing (it was in the open, smoking seas, and we had to hide at Lavezzi and wait a day!).   I would not dare on a windsurf.   But ... gee ... how much do you weight?  A 3.7 sounds huge for a solid force 9. From the photos it looks like you are quite confortable! I bow!!! I would not survive those conditions.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

At the moment I,m a solid 88-89kg, including al the neoprene it must be around 90-92 kg...and yes 3.7 is really big in wind like that.
For the big days like this I have my SOS71l board.   http://www.sosshapes.com/2006/boards/wi … movie.html
sailing a for me such a small board works the same as using a smaller sail and ads lots of control.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Big respect to you guys that sail those conditions.
As Davide, I would probably die too. Even before hitting the water... just in the wearing the wetsuit phase!!!
Really, I would not have the guts to go out... good thing I hate strong wind!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Very impressive! Nice shots, must have been a good lens.
That banzai looks great in those conditions!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Amazing. Long ago on Lake Ontario I crewed a ketch in full gale conditions (Beaufort 8) making hull speed under storm jib and fully reefed mizzen; I windsurfed Beaufort 9 at Hatteras, but that was on the sound side in "flat" water protected by the island. I can't imagine launching on the ocean in Beaufort 10 (I'll give you credit for 12, but it was just a spike). Plus, in cold wind the air is more dense and thus more powerful. Strong work, Jeroen, and great pics. Heck, holding a camera with such a long lens is hard enough in that kind of wind!!! Kudos to the photographer!!!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

10 (edited by Jeroensurf 2008-11-23 15:26:13)

Woutert, the photographer in action:
We sailed on turn so i took this shot smile
<image>

great camera indeed, a EOS something-expensive with a nice handy lens.

But with a REALLY nice camera, lens and technique you get this:

http://forum.windsurfing.nl/viewtopic.p … p;start=60
All the credits to JeVePe who just came to shoot the pics and stoot in the rain, snow, water and wind for hours!
Some of the pics were shot when the wind eased a bit after 15.00hour and it became more "crowed", but still impresive action.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nice, but none of your cool sail! Pretty amazing level of sailors on the water!

Thumbs up Thumbs down