Re: Breaking news in F1...

Well F1 is kind of special as it is the most watched sport in the world. Obviously a big money game. Take the fact that McLaren shrugged off a $100 million fine and appear to be be not much worse for it!
People will pay to be entertained so that is where the big money is be it movies, sports, music whatever!
See we are in a business  where people entertain themselves, and hence there is no money! The PWA have been unable to sell watching windsurfing as entertainment. I don't get it as windsurfing is very dynamic and should be entertaining. People will watch poker for god's sake! Bad management I guess.
Perhaps we need to look at F1 and learn how to entertain people.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi Tom ,

totally agree with you !

Uwe

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It fundamentally is a marketing issue--as are most business challenges. That and everyone drives, everyone considers themselves an above average driver, everyone can see themselves in that car if their childhood circumstances were a little different.

Windsurfing on the other hand is pretty difficult. The barriers to entry are very high. and except for a few obvious aerial maneuvers  no average Joe non-windsurfer can tell a great performance from a good one. So it's momentarily interesting--enough to stop at the Ho'okipa lookout for five minutes and shoot a photo, then it's back in the car for the trip to hana.

Even the fundamental simplicity difference between kitesurfing and windsurfing is insufficient to overcome that barrier--it's snowboarding vs skiing where skiing takes years to master and snowboarding takes months. Here's a joke: What's the difference between a snowboard pupil and a snowboard instructor? Two months.

Any nitwit can play Texas Hold 'em.

You've got to wonder about that $100 million dollar fine. that would be a deadly body blow to almost any business. I keep trying to figure out where all the money comes from, and I can't find it in any rational sponsorship deal.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

THE most watched sport in the world - Billions watch each race! More than than the superbowl, world series and Indie 500 put together (I heard that somewhere or something like it - the biggest 3 sporting events in USA)! In fact the American segment of the F1 market is tiny - there are only the super keen race fans like us who pay any attention to it. That is why many Americans just can't get their heads round how big it is (anyone posting here excepted).

Now I am not saying windsurfing can be like that, but surely we can come up with a fan base of a few paltry millions? I want my yacht too (and it does not even have to be in Monaco)!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just want to do a few laps in a F1 car or better yet Peyote. Although I'll probably just have to settle for my Rotax go-kart.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kimi has lapped the circuit in Bahrain over two seconds faster than last years GP Pole time! I find this news absolutly stunning. The FIA has frozen engine development and taken away traction control and engine braking using a mandated ECU and these guys build a car that's two seconds faster.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64995

Mike

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Unbelievable.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I will never understand why Mclaren let Kimi go. Whetever he wanted would have been worth it just to keep him out of a Ferrari! Kimi won the world Championship and Mclaren had the better car. I doubt Mclaren will have that luxury this year.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm looking for a new van for my windsurfing activities and someone suggested this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1pklvKKnd0

She is way cool !!  wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

lol And how humiliating for the m/c-rider that got overtaken!!! I was sooo hoping she would beat Jeremy's time. But cutting off 14secs by throwing off all that stuff, being a bit more aggresive and having something to draft. Not bad really (from the vid it looked the Viper was waaay to far ahead for creating any draft effect, but I could be wrong)
She actually rode around Nürburgring in a Transit about 20 sec faster than I did on my trusty ol' 62bhp Ducati 750 F1 a long time ago (1996). :sigh: I'm lucky she's not my wife. I would hate to be the slowest driver in the family. Call it competing instinct wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Reminds me of my mothers driving!

Anyway, looks like Toyota has made some improvements - they have been the most underperforming team for a long time. Maybe this year they will get it right!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TOYOTAs debut was promising a 6th with Mika Salo, Alan McNish was the other driver, both were fired by Toyota, after 1 season. Toyota has spend a crap load of money to be no where in Formula One, both Salo and McNish were good drivers, probably better than Panis & da Matta who replaced them, McNish did a lot of developement and deserved the drive. Hes probably better off.
Current driver Jarno Trulli is past his sell by date, Timo Glock shows some promise. Least they got rid of Ralf.

No Toyota is not my favorite Team  ........

Last edited by tooold2dance (2008-02-12 11:37:06)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd say David Coultard might be past his sell by date but still hangs on to a seat at Red Bull. He has kind of cruised since his McLaren days - does not seem to have much fight left. He's usually consistent and gets a few points here and there, but never gets as much out of the car as Mark Weber.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Last edited by tooold2dance (2008-02-14 16:59:43)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Webber had 10 Coulthard had 14 in 2007

Last edited by tooold2dance (2008-02-14 17:00:10)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I said he was consistent, but never got as much out of the car. So yes he got more points, but I think Weber out qualified him consistently. I think only in Spain and China did David out qaulify Mark.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey I love DC! I was just saying it is surprising he is still in F1 considering how competitive it is. If you look at his history it is clear he is not competing at the level he once was:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Coulthard
It just seems like the spark has gone a bit. Plus the guy is huge by F1 standards and weight is a huge disadvantage.
I'd love to see him back on the podium, but is it really on the cards?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No he is no a major player anymore, but then hes not driving for McLaren either, if the cards fall right he may get some good finishes.
I quite like David, some like Webber.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Practice starts tonight for the Grand Prix Formula 1 2008 Season.

See above for details on Fantasy League.

Team SicK already looks to be a favorite smile

Last edited by tooold2dance (2008-03-13 06:00:40)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Niclas wrote:

I'm lucky she's not my wife...

I don't know, Niclas. I think the Beatles had her in mind:

Baby you can drive my car...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think she is pretty COOL...and yea she can drive my car

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lewis Hamilton never put  a foot wrong too win, but I like Sebastian Bourdais to get the drive of the race, too bad his Ferrari engine let him down, well deserved points.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have never seen such a problem for Ferrari before. No car (6 of them) with Ferrari engines finished the race! I would not want to be a Ferrari engineer this week! They had a slow start to the season last year too and lokk what happened, so I am not counting them out yet.

Hammer's Heros started the season well with a third place finish. Seb could be my biggest problem - who knew a Toro Rosso could go so fast?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To be fair to the prancing horse, we can't blame the retirements of Vettle, Massa and Frischy on Ferrari as these retirements involved shunts. Sutil had "hydraulic failure" which can mean any number of things, some of which would be Ferrari components. No doubt however it was a dismal weekend for Ferrari. On a positive note, analysis of all the failures will yield a more relable package.

Nice to have F1 back again what with the now almost complete death of open wheel racing in the US. Funny how some are calling Champ Car and IRL a merger because It's not that at all. We're left with the IRL which is less entertaining than stock car racing.

Mike

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just got Speed channel so I could watch F1 and I was shocked when I discovered they no longer cover WRC! That was a major disapointment. Speed is now 95% Nascar which I don't care for that much.

I guess the quest for an American F1 driver has been given up too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down