Topic: Hints & Tips on the forum
Q: How can I add images to my post?
A: People sometimes ask at the forum how they can add images. It's actually quite simple but requires some steps.
1. Make sure you have a website where you can upload your image(s). If you don't have one of your own, create an account at one of the several photo sharing websites, like Flickr , Google Picasaweb, etc. for instance
2. Upload your image(s) to the website/account
3. View the original image on that website. Note! Not a so called "lightbox" version, which is a presentation mode (often a popup or a new page with a black background to make the image "pop"). For e.g. Flickr, that means clicking "View Original Image".
4. Right-click on the image itself and choose "Properties" (or similar) from the pop up menu.
4.1 Note, this does not work for Flick anymore. Instead, click the "..." and choose "Download all sizes" and then "View all sizes". Click the Medium 640-resolution. Now right click on the image and copy the image URL. Continue to step 6.
5. In the property-window that now is shown, mark (left-click before "http" and keep the mouse-button down while dragging to the right and the end of the url) and copy the URL shown at "Address:" (called "Location:" in Firefox)
6. Make the post at hotsailsmaui.com and wherever you want the image to appear, just write "[ img ]" (without any spaces and no quotation marks), then paste your image URL and finish it off by writing "[ / img ] (no spaces, nor quotation marks!)
7. Post the post.
8. You're done.
Q: I've done all the above and my image still don't show up, why?
A: Some photo sharing websites don't allow other websites to show the pictures, called inline linking or hotlinking, meaning that e.g. www.examplewebsite.suffix doesn't allow www.hotsailsmaui.com/forum/ to show the image here e.g. because they think of it as bandwidth theft or just don't want their images to show up on another website. It could also be that you've not linked to the image itself, but the page that the image is shown. Just repeat steps 3 and onwards above.
Q: How wide shall my images be?
A: Because the design of this website, please do not post images wider than 600pixels. That way you'll be sure that the image is shown correctly and not cropped.
Q: I cannot login to the forum, what is the problem?
If you are sure you've entered the correct username and password, it could be that you need to delete your cookies. If you are experienced, then you can delete the specific Hot Sails MAui cookies yourself. Otherwise, continue reading at http://www.aboutcookies.org/Default.aspx?page=2
Last edited by Niclas (2008-01-22 10:26:39)