Re: Mast list for Super freaks

No, you can do it in snow, too. I've thought about it; I do have a pretty nice Kokatat dry suit and have been out sailing when it started to snow, but in winter my heart is in the big motor (self-powered) sports, i.e. XC skiing. I especially like freestyle (skating), but classic is fun too. I spent 23 years in a 'former life' as a better than average runner. I was bitten at a young age by the Olympic bug, and gave it a pretty good shot; good thing I didn't discover windsurfing until I retired from racing, 'cause I won a fair number of races that I wouldn't have been anywhere near the front - not with all the time I would have been sailing! In retrospect, I probably had a better body for XC skiing (was a good bit bigger than the best runners).

This is why I agreed with the comments on speed sailors being the major determinant of who wins and who sets records. I must point out, however, that it didn't take Kimi Raikkonen very long to move from McClaren-Mercedes to Ferrari once Michael Schumacher got out of the way....hmmmm....why do you think he did that?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks to Mr. Raikkonen who, not long after my above post, 'drove home' my point!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Never mind Kimi, we always new he was fast, but what about Lewis Hamilton?
The Brits are back!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, he had a good drive. But with the results of Williams, Red Bull, and Spyker I'd say it's a bit premature to say the Brits PLURAL are back. I'll give you one....which is better than the Americans can claim!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well British Driver, British team, British chasis, and I beleive the Merc engines are actually built in the UK. 14 points for Mclaren - not a bad start. Williams have work to do. What the hell happened to Honda?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, OK. I'll give you Brits plural, but it won't be REALLY British until the cars are green!  smile

BTW, at the Benz museum in Stuttgart I learned a fascinating story on how Mercedes got their silver team color....long ago, mid-thirties or forties, there was a new formula and they showed up to the first race and at the weigh-in the car was a few kilos too heavy. All the Benz team cars had been white up to then, dating from way back to pre-1900. With only a few overnight hours to solve it, they decided to sand off the paint down to the bare alumimum (or shall I say aluminium). They won the race the next day, and ever since Benz team cars have been silver. That's why my SLK is silver - it's not a real rally car by any means, but it's the spirit of the thing.

As to Honda....maybe they should stick to motorcycles.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Man are we off subject.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What? We are still talking about pre-preg carbon fibre objects - just not the tubular kind!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I knew it was getting bad. But we were bonding so it's OK because it 's good for sales.

I'll shut up now.   wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have a quiver of 2007 Super Freaks (4,2 + 4,7 + 5,3 + 5,8) and 2005/2007 Hot Rod's (400 + 430 + 460) I was wondering if I could gain anything by combinding my Hot Rod’s: 430 Bottom and 400 Top for my 5,3 SF or any other combinations.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi Peter,
You really should have started a new thread for this one:)
Yes  you can combine a longer base with a shorter top to get an in between mast size. I often use a 430 bottom with a 400 top. This works especially well for heavier sailors.
DO NOT try to use a 370 and a 430 to try to make a 400. The two masts have vastly different stiffnesses and you risk breaking the top from uneven loading.
You can use a long top and a short bottom, but it will have a different bend (more like old constant curve) than desired for a Hotsail (flextop). It would probably be good in a North or a Maui sail like that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeff

For my 8.0, I suddenly got the notion that my 460 Reflex Wave and a Chinook carbon long extension might be long enough (it isn't for the Ezzy 7.5), and it looks like this would yield 508 cm luff length. Barely long enough, but it might work. What do you think of that combo? I think it would be better than the Junker Klunker, or the CK75 490 telephone pole, but would it work OK?

Thanks,

GEM

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Horrible.
So soft you will have no power, and get over powered quickly. Not advisable unless used in only sub planning conditions. Try your odd ball first.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Figured as much.

Being the stubborn mul..., er ah, windsurfer I am, I probably will try both and then order my HR...

GEM

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So what, no one noticed the best ever start to a season for a formula one rookie?

The Brits are back!

http://www.formula1.com/race/news/5916/771.html

(sorry Jeff!)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

66 (edited by Niclas 2007-04-11 08:45:36)

Tom, 4 wheels is 2 too many... If they need support-wheels to not fall over, well, are they really any good then? wink wink
Now this is the man and this is what to ride... wink

/Niclas

PS. I agree - it's cool to see the brits are back in F1. Even though I always cross my fingers for the Finns, almost-fellow-countrymen as they are

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If it is a F1 fast finn you want then Kimi is your man.

If it is a flying Finn you want then this is your man:

http://www.wrc.com/page/DriversDetail/0 … 46,00.html

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, Gronholm is completely nuts. Actually, all those rally guys drive totally insane. Makes for great video!

Hey, Jeff, there's an idea! If you're gonna compete with flipping cars in auto rallies, I fear you need to have a section for best windsurfing wipeouts. Hey, that's not a bad idea....I might even win something!!!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok, agreed that Grönholm is da man in rally. But I'm more interested in whether Rossi, as a multi motorcycle WC-champion, can match Grönholm, Solberg and the others when he gets flying smile And, in rally we have a few Swedes, though not at the top. In F1 it was ages ago that the Swedes ruled...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Snore.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love this thread!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How can windsurfers, who love the ocean, the wind and the waves (all natural things) like at the same time cars and motorbikes is a mistery for me...

I didn't even get into tow surfing because the towing machine is a stinky, noisy, mechanic piece of shit!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

cammar wrote:

How can windsurfers, who love the ocean, the wind and the waves (all natural things) like at the same time cars and motorbikes is a mistery for me...

I didn't even get into tow surfing because the towing machine is a stinky, noisy, mechanic piece of shit!

I think there are two kinds of competition that are intensely basic and lie at the core experience of life on Earth - fights and races. Even the lowly cockroach understands that if I get to the crack in the wall before it does, it's dead. So a good fight or race, no matter what is being pitted against what, is exciting. It's in the DNA of every living thing on the planet. Those are much more elemental than, say, basketball or football (soccer in N.A.).

As for windsurfers and motor racing...I agree that race cars and motorbikes are noise, stinky, and a waste of fossil fuel and cause of global warming. Bad stuff. But windsurfers who buy lots of petroleum-derived products and fly all around the world in search of great windsurfing can't exactly stand proud. We add to the problem, though the reality is that neither windsurfing nor motorsports are a large percentage of the global problem. Nonetheless, every mole of CO2 counts and we need to look in the mirror.

As to the merits of tow surfing...well I haven't seen it in person, but have watched videos. I'm sure that those who like it can overlook the stinky exhaust for the benefit of finding out being reminded that we're all puny weakling tiny blobs of protoplasm, confronting the fact that in the face of the power of the God and the Universe, we are as nothing. Doesn't really turn me on, but I'm not surprised that people have a taste for it.

GEM

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cammar, how well does the engine in your ol' car burn the fuel? How many gallons per mile? wink Unfortunately, most of us are too heavy consumers of fossil fuel. And many windsurfers tend to ride old or very fuel consuming cars (vans, trucks and similar) and we definitely travel long distances to get to our "venues" compared to many other sports. At that, we have sails made of oil and boards with non-environmentally-friendly composites/resins. So I don't buy the environmentally friendly tag some try to add to the sport of windsurfing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hmmm. Now you guys are taking about things I have some actual expertise in. I've been racing motorcycles since I was fifteen (I'm 60, and still race them sometimes) and cars since my thirties. Environmental issues around racing are as much bologna as any political discussion ever is. Our economies are powered by vast amounts of energy, and the growing third world economies will make all the dinky little make believe feel good "energy savings" generated by people driving Prius' (why did they name these cars similarly to a perpetual hard-on) and wearing their hair shirts seem as pointless and trivial as they really are. Not to mention Hollywood folks driving their Prius to the airport to hop on their G5.

If people want to really make an impact they need to stop making environmentally friendly efforts seem as fun and engaging as a Baptist prayer breakfast, stop worrying about providing good examples, and start tackling the problem where a difference can be made.

The big places energy can be saved or replaced are:
Industry
Home
Transportation

No replacement is without its opponents. As a former Nuclear Reactor Operator and PR flack for nuke plants (scary, eh?) I'm all too familiar with the processes and the obstructionism. No one wants wind plants on the skyline, solar cells in the desert, oil pipelines, coal plants, or a garbage cogen plant next door. New York still dumps usable garbage fuel into the ocean at a staggering rate because they can't site a thermal plant.

Political problems, people problems. No fun.

But Formula One and Moto GP are the only reason I'm kind of okay going home to Portland tomorrow. All the recent races, practices and qualifying sessions should be on my Tivo. And I'm headed off on my 15,000 mile racing trip, burning diesel and race gas like crazy.

While I'm gone you should all ride bicycles to make up for my profligate ways.

Aloha, have a great summer, ride on.

Thumbs up Thumbs down