Re: Mast list for Super freaks

does anybody know something about Challenger rdm 77 procent?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Treur wrote:

does anybody know something about Challenger rdm 77 procent?

I'm using a Challenger rdm 77% in my 3.7 and 4.2 Superfreaks. Works like a charm.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

inquiring minds like to know, What/whose mast is this ?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

tooold2dance wrote:

inquiring minds like to know, What/whose mast is this ?

it's sold by Challenger Sails en someone offered a second hand.

Another option for me is a Unifiber rdm 4m constant curve 60% carbon. Anyone experienced this mast with a superfreak, 4.7 or 5.3?

thanks,
Johan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

flex top will be much better for the SF sails

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Unifiber CC, as Uwe said is not the better option, UNIFIBER DO make a range of mast and the flex top would be ok, not as good as a HotRod

see::

http://www.unifiber.net/2013/gear/masts … -rdm-c100/

the only other mast IMO that would be REALLY good is a NeilPryde, other will go up the sleeve, but lack the proper curve to glean the performance from the sail. lifes too short for that

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is interesting; somebody needs to try it:
http://www.powerexmasts.com/products/de … product=13

Thumbs up Thumbs down

windfast wrote:

This is interesting; somebody needs to try it:
http://www.powerexmasts.com/products/de … product=13

Interesting look at least. ...... I find it a bit disturbing that these have a USA Flag label - leading one to believe they are the same made in USA brand from years past? The masts look nice but they are made in Qingdao factory & wholly owned by a Chinese company so why the flag?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That is disturbing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Maybe the bamboo comes from America?  roll

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Call the US importer, wait, their Italian.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffrey Henderson wrote:

North RDM = 7

jeffrey, i agree--could be an 8 though.
ever since i started sailing hotsails i've been using ohana masts.  they work perfectly well in all my sf's and on my new fl 5.0.   since i now have a minor problem with my 400 ohana, i tried a 2013 north platinum for a substitute.  when i rigged it as usually on my aluminum playmate, it turned out a COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT.  switched back to my carbon playmate (same position as on my ohana) plus less downhaul (only a few mm) it worked pretty much as i know it is meant to work.
i still find it hard to decipher my experiences--any comments?
lutz

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So some ten years on from when this helpful thread was first started, I'm interested in what the current best mast options for a SF are seen to be. I rig my smaller Freaks on HotRods. However I've recently acquired a 7.0 and need to find a better mast for it than my current options (Tushingham 450 RDM with too much extension or very old (black) Ezszy 460 RDM). The most recent Unifiber mast selector suggests Simmer RDMs should be a good fit. I've also seen Unifiber flex-top masts suggested. Does that match with anyone's experiences and are there any other options, aside from HotRods of course, which might be a good bet? (10 / 9 / 8 on the scale?).

Cheers all.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

leschlange wrote:
Jeffrey Henderson wrote:

North RDM = 7

jeffrey, i agree--could be an 8 though.
ever since i started sailing hotsails i've been using ohana masts.  they work perfectly well in all my sf's and on my new fl 5.0.   since i now have a minor problem with my 400 ohana, i tried a 2013 north platinum for a substitute.  when i rigged it as usually on my aluminum playmate, it turned out a COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT.  switched back to my carbon playmate (same position as on my ohana) plus less downhaul (only a few mm) it worked pretty much as i know it is meant to work.
i still find it hard to decipher my experiences--any comments?
lutz

That list is pretty old. The North stuff is better than it used to be. Puzzled by the boom change though, that I have no idea unless you were on a huge sail, which a 5.0m is not!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TwoFish wrote:

So some ten years on from when this helpful thread was first started, I'm interested in what the current best mast options for a SF are seen to be. I rig my smaller Freaks on HotRods. However I've recently acquired a 7.0 and need to find a better mast for it than my current options (Tushingham 450 RDM with too much extension or very old (black) Ezszy 460 RDM). The most recent Unifiber mast selector suggests Simmer RDMs should be a good fit. I've also seen Unifiber flex-top masts suggested. Does that match with anyone's experiences and are there any other options, aside from HotRods of course, which might be a good bet? (10 / 9 / 8 on the scale?).

Cheers all.

The 7.0 SF wants a LONG mast- I like it either on a super stiff 460, or a normal 90% for some 490. The 490 is a bit long, but it really gives a serious power boost.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TwoFish wrote:

Cheers all.

I tried a 460 Simmer RDM10 mast in my KS3 6.7. I didn't like it. It made the sail feel heavy. Didn't seem to breathe properly in the gusts. The Ultra is a much better match with the KS3 6.7.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes. The top flex becomes more important the larger the sail gets.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for the replies gents. It's also been suggested that Unifiber's flex-top 460 might be a good candidate for the SF 7.0. Any experiences out there?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No experience, but I suspect it will be ok!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

at #215 i had good luck with the SF 7,0 on no limitz sumo 460.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TwoFish wrote:

Thanks for the replies gents. It's also been suggested that Unifiber's flex-top 460 might be a good candidate for the SF 7.0. Any experiences out there?

Just try to get the flex top one!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulf wrote:

Not sure about the 460 but tried the 400 & 430 Sumo on my Firelight - they rig really badly. Way too much draft up high & flat down low. Need to be much more Flextop oriented. I have heard some use NoLimitz Grey top with Sumo bottom....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

calebchinookRD wrote:
paulf wrote:

Not sure about the 460 but tried the 400 & 430 Sumo on my Firelight - they rig really badly. Way too much draft up high & flat down low. Need to be much more Flextop oriented. I have heard some use NoLimitz Grey top with Sumo bottom....

Yeah, that surprised me too. The Sumo is usually what I consider nearly a hard top mast. Never been very nice on our sails in those longer lengths.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

the nolimitz chart puts the sumo 460 at a 12 flex. i thought hard tops were 9/10, constant/flextop at 12/14 and soft tops higher than 14. do you break it out differently, i don't recall the exact #s for my hot rods? in any case i thought it sailed fine pulled out flat.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

250 (edited by calebchinookRD 2018-01-10 06:31:38)

paulf wrote:

the nolimitz chart puts the sumo 460 at a 12 flex. i thought hard tops were 9/10, constant/flextop at 12/14 and soft tops higher than 14. do you break it out differently, i don't recall the exact #s for my hot rods? in any case i thought it sailed fine pulled out flat.

In my Experience there is always some error in the tests & in the masts - perhaps 1% per 1/2 or so. I think the Sumo always err on hard top side so I bet in practice they measure at 10-12. The Chinook masts(for instance) are nominally 14 but generally err on the flextop side so 14-16. I have only measured Hotrods in the past but found them to measure around 16-17 or more. I think the new Ultra & Kauli masts are probably a bit more accurate though. When rigging a sail, IMHO it is usually easier to tune with a mast that is a bit too flextop for the sail vs one that is too stiff in the tip. I once had a rigging session with Bruce Peterson of Sailworks. I had a Firelight & he had a Revo. We swapped masts - he had the Sumo & I had the Chinook. The Sumo rigged his sail perfectly while the Chinook had a bit too much of an open leach. We were able to to tune this out to some extent by using a bit less downhaul & more outhaul - he said the sail lacked some tension for top end but it looked ok to me. On the other hand, no amount of tuning could get the Firelight to sit well on the Sumo. The leach was too tight & if you did get it to open with more downhaul, then the bottom of the sail was very flat. He agreed that it would be very sluggish & top-heavy that way.

Thumbs up Thumbs down